From the collection of Simon Bendall, coins with provenance.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by BenSi, Aug 3, 2020.

1. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Just received my solitary win from the last CNG auction. I bid on 10, won only 1. This little one has proved elusive in the past decades, it is a half tetarteron thought to be minted in Constantinople. The price was bellow market and with the past ownership of Simon Bendall it made it a deal.

p6.jpg

ALEXIUS III ANGELUS-COMNENUS AE HALF TETARTERON SBCV-NL DOC 6 CLBC 8.4.2

OBV Full Length Figure of the Virgin, nimbate, orans, wearing tunic and maphorion turned to r. Manus Dei in upper r. field.

REV Full length figure of emperor wearing stemma, divitision, and colored piece and jeweled loros of a simplified type.; holds in r. hand scepter cruciger and in l. Globus cruciger

Size 15mm

Weight 1.97gm

DOC lists 1 examples with weight 2.13gm and sized at 18mm

Feel free to post your coins with provenance, Greek, Roman, Byzantine, ETC...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. catadc

catadc Well-Known Member

TheRed, PeteB, VD76 and 6 others like this.
  4. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

That last CNG auction was productive for me as well, four Andronicus II trachea. I am quite happy as I now have this type in my collection. These have been tough for me to find, and all 4 are different. I bid on 2 lots. Looks like Ben was successful as well.

The other lot 394 went for $1400. I stopped at $300. 394 is a very excellent get.
    Andronicus 4 Trachea lot.JPG Andronicus 4 Trachea lot.JPG

Attached Files:

TheRed, PeteB, Marsyas Mike and 7 others like this.
  5. VD76

VD76 Well-Known Member

All of the lots that I plan to bid on was gone with prices way more than I expected. So I bid on a few random ones and was lucky to win one lot .
    2254877A-7857-4D18-AB41-9E61E642B894.jpeg 8DB11B6D-42EC-4559-8BCE-339E1853D8F5.jpeg
    I was also bidding on next lot , yours , but in the last moment I let it go . Congratulations , nice coins .

Congratulations Simon !!! I knew that you will bid on this one or second one :) . I bid on the first one , the second coin was way too much.

BenSi, TheRed, Johndakerftw and 6 others like this.
  6. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

I bid on the second one too, luckily I was outbid before this coin came up or I would have left empty handed. I really wanted the Andronicus but I do not think it will be an easy resell at that price.

They will have more of his coins in September. I bet their will be a few treasures in that auction.

VD76 and Orfew like this.
  7. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Nice acquisition. I bid on several of the Bendall coins but did not win a single one.

Here is one of my favourite coins with provenance. This coin was once owned by

J Eric Engstrom. He was the author of Coins in Shakespeare and had quite a career.

https://www.kshs.org/p/j-eric-engstrom/19775

vesp ric 685.jpg

TheRed, PeteB, VD76 and 5 others like this.
  8. Edessa

Edessa Well-Known Member

Denmark. Sven Estridsen, AD 1047-1075. AR Penny (1.09g). Lund mint. Obv: Standing facing angel and king, wearing loros; they hold between them, labarum. Rev. Long double cross with limbs ending in three crescents, two angles with crescent, one also with pellet. Ref: Hauberg 8. The reverse type is that of a histamenon of Michael IV. Ex Holger Hede Collection (Rasmussen/Ahlström sale 3, 1994, lot 48). Description and picture courtesy Stacks.

zzz.jpg

TheRed, galba68, VD76 and 7 others like this.
  9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

From the Henry Clay Lindgren collection -- and the Celator article about the sale in which it appeared.

Cleopatra Thea Antiochus VIII.jpg
    Cleopatra Thea Celator 1.JPG

TheRed, galba68, PeteB and 8 others like this.
  10. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

I love this most excellent pursuit. Especially the people we meet along the way.
    Cheers to all.

BenSi and VD76 like this.
  11. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

solidus weight from Bendall coll CNG 7.29.20.jpg
    There was an interesting Solidus weight in the auction from he collection of Simon Bendall. A couple of folks wanted this one. It sold for 5X estimate, but near other auctions.
    Late 4th-5th centuries AD. Æ Solidus Weight (15x15mm, 4.20 g). Two facing imperial busts; cross above; all inlaid in silver / Blank. Bendall 107 (this piece). Brown patina. VF. Well-preserved silver inlay.

TheRed, Orfew, Edessa and 3 others like this.
  12. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

CNG has a new auction posted. More of Simon Bendall's is up.

seth77, Severus Alexander and Edessa like this.
  13. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

There are some nice "city gates" from Arta there.

BenSi likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted