From the Brink to the Dark Side- initial Coin Week article on latest struck counterfeits

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jack D. Young, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

Coin Week reissued my 1st published article in that forum on the recent struck counterfeits.

brink.jpg

Through the research at the time I realized many of the genuine source coins were damaged examples, sold cheaply for the varieties and then repaired to create the counterfeit dies- led to help "find" over 25 different fake examples over the next couple of years...

Updated article includes a link at the end for several of the other articles I have had published in that forum.

https://coinweek.com/counterfeits/f...per-struck-counterfeits-damaged-source-coins/

image is of the latest updated master list of these deceptive struck fakes including the most recent addition, the 1871 pattern dollar; my research article on that one was recently published in the fall edition of the LSCC's Gobrecht Journal.

updated list.jpg
    These examples continue to show up in various venues for sale as well as being TPG certified as genuine...

Best, Jack.

john65999, Cheech9712, wrexx and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Intreasting thanks for the read.

4. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Next thing will be the counterfeit vaccines.

5. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Excellent work Jack. It's hard to imagine a finer contribution to the hobby.

Jack D. Young likes this.
  7. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up Jack. The China Hell Makers are getting more sophisticated and brazen. I often wonder how they get all this stuff though customs, this too must be a very sophisticated operation. Be safe.

8. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

9. kountryken

kountryken Well-Known Member

Very interesting. Thanks for your hard work, and thanks for sharing.

Jack D. Young likes this.
  10. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Jack. I envy you. You keep it real. You should inspect house too.

Draft saved Draft deleted