From the "Black Death" era

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by panzerman, Jan 8, 2021.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Got this back in 2013....

AV Franc a pied ND struck April 20/ 1365 Paris Mint
    Charles V House of Valois 1364-80
    He was also known as "the Wise". \he restored French honour by winning back the territory lost in the initial phase of the Hundred Year's War. He was able to bring back prosperity/ replenish the treasury with gold. In 1380, he died, and was succeeded by his son Charles VI "the Fool", whose 42 year reign turned out to be the lowest point in French history. charles-v-franc-pied-1090003-XL.jpg

Pishpash, goossen, DonnaML and 28 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

My Hand-Heller from Germany's Schwäbisch Hall minted around 1350s, around when the black-death was at its peak!
    008pp9fb3vv31.png

DonnaML, Limes, ancientone and 17 others like this.
  4. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

@panzerman, that's an astonishing example!
    As you're (um, may we say, Very) likely to know, Charles V gets eloquent reportage in the contemporaneous 'chronicle' of Froissart.
    @JayAg47, that's the kind of example I might've kept. Instead of the dumbly cleaned one that I didn't. Liking how the German for the denomination is "Handelsheller." Evoking the composer G. F. Handel, whose origins were in this part of the world.

5. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

This is a very beautiful coin. Thanks for sharing.

panzerman, +VGO.DVCKS and spirityoda like this.
  6. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Amazing coin @panzerman Congrats on having such a great one in your collection. The coin looks so minty fresh if you told me you traveled back in time to get it I might believe you based on the numismatic evidence.

7. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Amazing coin.. all I can do is throw another one of these to the party...

upload_2021-1-8_23-8-7.png

GERMANY, Schwäbisch Hall: AR Handheller, issued 1300-1356. 0.49g, 17mm.

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

My jaw just hit the ground. Such an amazing design and being gold even better. Mr. Gold your collection blows my mind. Keep doing it.

panzerman and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  9. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Wow :jawdrop:! John, that's a masterpiece of Gothic art & it looks FDC too ;). I hope you're keeping that coin safely contained, we don't need another pandemic like the "Black Death" going around :hilarious:.

10. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Very nice, @panzerman !
    This is a type I’d really like to have, and it’s high on my want list.
    Right now I’m impatiently waiting for this coin from his grandson Charles VII:

82016CAA-1EDA-4556-8E34-5C0CC83B4BE1.jpeg
    Charles VII 1422-1461 Blanc a la Couronne 1ere emission 28 Janiver 1436

DonnaML, +VGO.DVCKS, ominus1 and 3 others like this.
  11. panzerman

Thanks! With me you are all safe, I have never removed the coin from its flip/ like James Bond, "For your eyes only"....

spirityoda, goossen and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  12. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Seriously, John? You never remove the coin from the flip?

Given the quality you collect, I can understand it though. I had a mint state coin from the late 18th century in my hand yesterday, and when feeling slightly clumsy when placing it back in the holder, I came to think of Ed Snible breaking his coin, and thought «ok, these borderline cameo fields have been perfect for 250 years, and now you’re going to put a finger mark right on them».

+VGO.DVCKS, DonnaML and panzerman like this.
  13. panzerman

To be honest/ I feel better just to admire them in their flip/ TPG slab. I know you can buy special coin handling gloves. I find the SAFLIPS offer a nice safe way to handle/ view coin. Problem with gold, its a very soft metal.....esp. with coins that are almost 24 carat pure.

+VGO.DVCKS, goossen and svessien like this.
  14. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Now I understand your «photo policy» better. I would still love to study an online album with good pics of your collection, though. But that’s my own selfish desire :)

+VGO.DVCKS and panzerman like this.
  15. goossen

goossen Senior Member

After seeing such great coins I feel tempted to start collecting medievals

16. panzerman

I will offer my two cents/ you will not regret it, Medieval coins are beautifull, esp. the ones from the Burgundian States/ Germany/ France/ Spain/ Austria:happy:

+VGO.DVCKS and goossen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted