From striking the world's most beautifull coins to kitch

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by panzerman, Oct 26, 2020.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Switzerland used to create some of the most beautifull coinage....
    example: 1741 AV 20 Dukaten /Basel

to this:yuck:

People had way better taste in 1741 b0f402acc2d368a5fcf31aa4f0d63b5d.jpg switzerland-2020-quarter-franc-gold-pair.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

Yeah, they need to find a better coin artist

panzerman likes this.
  4. panzerman

agreed. Maybe those coins from 1700s where just to gorgeous to spend. But the, 20 Dukaten was a fair chunk of change in 1741!

5. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

This isn't just a problem in Switzerland...

6. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

swiss coins have always been among my favorites, but I agree, them and a couple of other nations are really lacking in that regard. This is why I try to stick to non-modern coins. Todays taste of art is terrible, and I blame people like pollock for ruining the intricacies of art. There is a reason our culture is fragmented, you know.

DarkRage666 likes this.
  7. panzerman

Seems, every Country has gone to the "modern artwork" designs. The US/ UK still make some nice collector coins. Nice to see that the British AV 5/2/1/1/2 Pound coins are still same design as in 1820's. German coins struck since 1918 are bland in design/ same for most other nations. Transylvania is one of my favorite Countries to collect/ also Basel/ Bern/ Zurich/ Regensburg/ Salzburg/ Holy Roman Empire.... IMG_0101.JPG IMG_0700.JPG IMG_0701.JPG IMG_0702.JPG IMG_0763.JPG IMG_0764.JPG

The Eidolon and brg5658 like this.
  8. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Interesting. I find modern US coins to be hideously designed.

HiroBear likes this.
  9. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Any modern u.s coin with a dead president on it is bad as a start.

10. panzerman

I meant by modern/ post 1918. The St. Gaudens AV Double Eagles/ Eagles are nice designs:D But, the Capped Bust/ Barber/ Morgan designs are beautifull. The Indian Head Cents way nicer then Lincoln one.

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  11. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

They still do, it's just issued for circulation.

12. HiroBear

HiroBear New Member

Agreed... In an effort to generate revenue more than a few mints have turned out aesthetically challenged collectables IMO.

Time to create a thread for the 2020 ugliest official mint issue of the year?

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted