Featured From beginning to end, in many ways/ab ore in ano est

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Firstly, this may be the last coin shipment that I receive for the next 2 weeks to 2 years, from what I can appropriately judge right now. Interesting time to be farting around. (remember we also just went through some pretty good sized 5.7 and 4.2 earth quakes this week)

upload_2020-3-20_19-5-38.gif
    (Kidding! I may be as drunk as Homer but I am certain that we will get through this)

And B: I received an archaic coin from what would be considered nearly the beginning of ancient coin. All the way to a medieval crusaders coin at near the end.
    Naw, I’ll look at this as a new beginning. Get better photos of my coins, check my identifications and better my learning of the hobby I love so much... while spinning them round in my fingers like Scrooge McDuck!
    upload_2020-3-20_19-4-17.gif
    (Actual footage of Ryro taken in secret by ninjas that hate coins)

Believe it or not, I was able to sustain, leaving the package in the shed for three days, before ripping open this saweet bit of nectar from the ancient coin gods and goddesses.
    upload_2020-3-20_19-16-43.jpeg
    Thats right! I was a germaphobe before this whole being afraid of germs thing was cool. So, how do you think I feel now?!

And finally, the finale... Alright, alright enough hyperbole.
    Here they are. An archaic, three Macedonian/Makedon & (ish) shields and a medieval.
    A guy couldn’t ask for a better last order in my humble perfection;)
    BEE7CB2D-A30E-4BCC-B2BB-962ED114CD21.jpeg

6E70D425-65BB-401E-B29D-A223781DD808.jpeg

E27FFAC4-5B35-494B-B0D3-83E1701E6735.jpeg
    IONIA, Phokaia. Circa 625/0-522 BC. AR Obol
    Female head left, wearing helmet or close fitting cap
    Quadripartite incuse square.
    SNG Copenhagen (Cyprus, etc.) -; SNG Kayhan
    1,09 gr. 10 mm
    6DF121B0-AB49-4A5E-B48F-22F397E714F3.jpeg
    KINGS OF MACEDON. Philip III Arrhidaios (323-317 BC). Ae 1/2 Unit.
    Uncertain mint in western Asia Minor.
    Macedonian shield; on boss, head of Herakles facing slightly right.
    Helmet. Controls: kerykeion to right, monogram to left.
    Price 2803.
    3,85 gr. 15 mm
    0133F14A-2CA4-49EB-8EBB-1D9307F10E10.jpeg
    PAMPHYLIA, Aspendos. 1st century BC. AE
    Round shield.
    Rev: Winged kerykeion.( A. C left and right field)
    SNG France 155; Yashin 51 (Askalon).
    1,92 gr. 13 mm

D83F30E7-E18B-46B7-92C3-1B0C4A7F9C44.png
    PISIDIA. Selge. Uncertain (161-192). Ae.
    Obv: Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev: СЄΛΓЄΩΝ.
    Macedonian shield; serpent to left and right; inverted crescent below.
    Cf. RPC IV online 3564 (for a type of Marcus Aurelius).
    2,07 gr. 14 mm
    E2A89EE6-D5B1-4B22-A7D9-E7319FD0D9EB.png
    Bohemond III AR Denier Angtioch 1163-1188 AD
    BOAИVHDVS, helmeted and mailed head left; crescent before,
    star behind / + AИTI:OCHIA, cross pattée; crescent in second quarter.
    Metcalf 378
    0,93 gr. 18 mm

please post any recent interesting groupings that you’ve received, Last shipments (or last anythings for that matter) and any coins that this thread made you think of sharing before...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That Phillip III and Bohemond III are great!

Enjoy your quarantine. I officially started mine today. Though it is only 9 days as of now. Still have a job to do...I'm looking forward to spending some time with the kiddos and wife. Hopefully not losing what little hair I have left. And coming out on the other side.
    I'm planning on photographing/rephotographing some coins and reading/learning more along with FFIVN. Oh, and of course, spending more time here on CT!
    Quite an interesting time we are in.

4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Interesting and eclectic mix, @Ryro !

Making her CT debut, my most recent acquisition.

Ladies and gentlemen, delivered by Royal Mail all the way from London, England, please give a warm round of applause to Miss Venus Victrix!

Faustina Jr VENVS VICTRIX sestertius.jpg
    Faustina II, AD 147-175/6.
    Roman orichalcum sestertius, 27.25 g, 30.7 mm, 6 h.
    Rome, AD 161-176.
    Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, Bust of Faustina II, draped, with band of pearls, right.
    Rev: VENVS VICTRIX S C, Venus standing facing, head left, holding Victory in extended right hand and resting left hand on shield set on helmet.
    Refs: RIC 1688; BMCRE 960-65; Cohen 283; RCV 5288; MIR 40-6/10b.

5. Ryro

Great things come in IIIs! Haha
    I’ve got three boys mice elf:wacky:
    I’m loving more time with them and the little lady:kiss:

Justin Lee likes this.
  6. furryfrog02

I've got 3 kids myself. Boy, girl, boy though.
    I am looking at the weather for next week and it is probably going to suck. I was hoping we could spend a lot of time out in the back yard playing...when we aren't doing home school of course...Guess that gives us more time for coins, lego, boardgames, and books.
    I didn't post a coin because I posted my probable last 2 for the foreseeable future, yesterday. Already starting to go through withdrawals...
    [​IMG]

7. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Nice coins @Ryro . I particularly like the Bohemond III. My example.

Crusader Coin Showing Fascinating Medieval Armor
    64100B58-3302-43CF-9ABF-DDFF61A0BE4B.jpeg
    Crusader Antioch
    Bohemond III (Minority 1149-1163, Majority 1163-1201)
    AR Denier, Antioch mint, struck ca. 1163-1188
    Wt.: 1.06 g
    Dia.: 17 mm
    Obv.: +BOAHVHDVS; Helmeted head left marked with cross pattee, coif mail composed of crescents, five pointed star right, crescent left.
    Rev.: +ANTIOCNIA; cross pattee, with crescent pointing downward in second angle.
    Ref.: Malloy 65/Class A to B cf. Metcalf
    Ex AMCC 2, Lot 289 (Nov. 9, 2019)

8. Ryro

Goodness gracious! I love me some Faustina II and that is an excellent example with really fun patina:troll:
    0D8939A7-FD4A-4263-8F59-5481650E1F69.png

9. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Nice mix there, @Ryro! I see some SHIELDS in there!! :cyclops: As @furryfrog02 said, and I agree, I really dig that Philip III and the Bohemond III (and @Curtisimo, your's with the toning!!! OMG!!! :eek::wideyed:)

I recently got 2 deliveries with 2 coins each. I've just shown this first one here in a Gordian III (III's again!) thread already, but I like it so I'll show it again, if you don't mind...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gordian III, Ruled 238-244 AD
    AR Denarius, Struck 241 AD, Rome Mint

Obverse: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse: VENVS VICTRIX, Venus, draped, standing left, leaning on shield, holding helmet in right hand and sceptre in left hand.
    References: RIC IV 131
    Size: 20.5mm, 2.74g
    Note: The last decent silver examples of this denomination.

And here are the other 3 coins...

I'm starting to get a thing for chunky Septimius Severus AEs; If i see one I gotta try to get it.
    [​IMG]
    Septimius Severus, Ruled 193-211 AD
    AE Sestertius, Struck 195 AD, Rome mint

Obverse: L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IMP V, laureate head right.
    Reverse: SAECVLI FELICITAS, Felicitas, draped, standing left, foot on prow, holding caduceus in right hand and cornucopiae in left hand; S-C across fields.
    References: RIC IV 692a
    Size: 29mm, 21.45g

And I'm slowly working my way through filling up my Alexandria tets... (@furryfrog02, check out those full, fluffy wings on Nike!!:joyful:)
    [​IMG]
    Maximinus Thrax, Ruled 235-238 AD
    BL Tetradrachm, Egypt, Alexandria
    Struck 235/236 AD

Obverse: AVTO MAΞIMINOC ЄV CЄB, laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse: Nike advancing right, holding wreath and palm frond; before, LB, RY 2.
    References: Emmett 3289, Dattari 4581
    Size: 24mm, 13.34g
    Ex: Roma E-Sale 41 (2/12/17), Lot #539;

Holding History Auction 1 (6/1/19), Lot #214

And I think Trajan ate a lemon... :D:smuggrin:
    [​IMG]
    Trajan, Ruled 98-117 AD
    BL Tetradrachm, Egypt, Alexandria
    Struck 114/115 AD

Obverse: AVT TPAIAN API CEB ΓEPM ΔAKIK, laureate head right; star before.
    Reverse: Draped bust of Zeus right, wearing taenia; L I-H, RY 18.
    References: Emmett 395
    Size: 23.5mm, 11.27g

Welp, those are my most recent 4 coins.

10. furryfrog02

Those are are all great, but that Trax is awesome! I am peanut butter and jealous!

Justin Lee and Ryro like this.
  11. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Nice coins, Ryro! From the latest Zevs auction?

Ryro likes this.
  12. Ryro

Thanks a bunch! It was Themis. I hope folks that bid in that recent Zeus action will get their coins with all the issues with the mail...

Justin Lee likes this.
  13. Ryro

Yeah, what’s up with the llls in this thread? And you and @Curtisimo and your ridonculous iridescent toning. Man, that stuff is hard to capture for me and my iPhone 7! Though, your lemon eating T-Rage had me laughing my guts out, I’m with @furryfrog02 that Thrax is Ba, na, nanas! As great as the portrait is, that reverse is masterful:cigar: kinda reminds me of my second love:
    36F133B4-48FC-451C-AD19-6C981760BF03.jpeg
    The Nike Of Samothrace

14. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I got mail stating that the lots were sent, at least. I bought a bunch of cheap Byzantine coins in that auction. I also bid on a Boehemond III that looked like yours, and was wondering if it was you who snagged it. :D
    Glad you got your coins on time. We don’t know yet if the mail system will be as problematic as we fear. Hope not.

Orielensis, Justin Lee and Ryro like this.
  15. furryfrog02

This is the statue that fostered my love for Victory/Nike. I can still vividly remember seeing this in the Louve in 2003. Stunning.

Theodosius, Justin Lee and Ryro like this.
  16. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

That's a really nice archaic style on the obverse of the obol.

Congratulations!

Here's an interesting bulk lot of Attica tetradrachms that I purchased from Roma, E-Sale 67.

The lot is comprised of five coins, three of which have test cuts. The remaining two are, I believe, eastern imitations, especially the bottom coin to the right.

That coin weighs 14.4 grams (far below the Attic standard) and the flan is oblong. It could be a fourré, but I don't see any breaks indicating a copper core. There is a countermark on the cheek. The surfaces are porous, indicating an origin from a buried hoard. With a weight of 14.4 grams, this coin is closer to shekel or Egyptian (Ptolemaic) weight.

The other bottom coin, to the left, weighs 17.1, rough surfaces, and could be Athenian (late mass production). The eye, though, is odd, and doesn't seem to be in the style that one would expect from Athens. Also the hair is coarse (thick bands) as opposed to the finely detailed hair lines seen on most Athenian tetradrachms from this period.

Bulk lot of Attia tetradrachms, Roma 67.jpg

17. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Interesting thread title... ab ore in ano? Ad mores quales in anno isto degredimus!

Those are some nice coins – I very much like the Bohemond. A very fine example of the type.

Considering the chaos we experience at the moment and its impact on the postal system (unreliable international shipment, no signature delivery, etc.), I've decided not to bid in auctions or purchase anything expensive until things have switched back to normal. A little medieval snack might or might not still be on its way, depending on whether shipments from Europe still come through. My wins from the last Tauler&Fau auction will not ship until the current situation has settled – and God knows when that will be.

Last weekend, I have photographed and catalogued my late February and March purchases – these are probably my last "new old coins" until further notice:

Rom – Konstantin der Große, AE3, Sol, London mit Beizeichen.png
    Constantine the Great, Roman Empire, AE2, 316 AD, London mint. Obv: CONSTANTINVS P AVG; bust of Constantine I, laureate, cuirassed, r. Rev: SOLI INVICTO COMITI; Sol standing l., raising r. hand and holding up globe in l. hand; in fields, S–P; in exergue, MSL. 20.5mm, 3.06g. Ref: RIC VII Londinium 76.

MA – Deutschland etc., Deutscher Orden, Brakteat, Schild mit drei Kugeln.png
    Teutonic Order, anonymous issue, AR bracteate penny, ca. 1290–1410, unknown mint. Obv: shield of the Teutonic Order, three pellets above. Waschinski 80b; Eggert 12a. 14mm, 0.17g.

MA – Deutschland etc., Deutscher Orden, Michael Küchmeister, Schilling,.png
    Teutonic Order, under Grand Master Michael Küchmeister, AR schilling,1414–1422 AD, Thorn mint (?). Obv: * MAGST * MIChAEL : PRIMS; eagle shield of the Grand Master. Rev: * MONETA.DNORVM.PRV; shield of the Teutonic Order. 20.5mm, 1.52g. Ref: Neumann 14b.

MA – Deutschland etc., Köln, Brakteatenheller, 15. Jh..png
    Imperial City of Cologne, civic issue, AR bracteate heller, 1974–1493 AD, Cologne mint. Obv: civic coat of arms: three crowns above five flames. Rev: negative design (bracteate). 14.5mm, 0.31g. Ref: Noss 31. Ex Ernst Otto Horn Collection.

18. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

"That's a lot of money to pay for a dame without a head" - Citizen Kane

19. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice coin, RC! What a coincidence - I just got one of these as well, and also all the way from the UK. Unlike your lovely green example, mine has been severely stripped, but it went for $6.47 so how could I resist?

Anyway, I was wondering about the shield - you probably know all this already, but as OCRE put it (RIC 1688), these come in two varieties: "shield on which are the Dioscuri or she-wolf and twins". There appears to be a third variety, Victory, as noted in this CNG auction: https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=69637

Here is mine - I think mine is the wolf-n-twins. It weights 23.61 grams (I haven't worked up the attribution for the flip yet).

My photos are worse than usual - this coin is so shiny it is hard to capture - and so two versions, each lousy in its own way:
    Faustina II - Sest. VENVS VICTRIX Mar 2020 (0).jpg

Faustina II - Sest. VENVS VICTRIX Mar 2020 (0a).jpg

I guess this looks like a wolf...

Faustina II - Sest. VENVS VICTRIX Mar 2020 (0det).jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted