From A to Z, and Orange to Yellow

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bob L., Feb 9, 2017.

1. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

No one size fits all answer

It depends on how the artificial patina was applied. Maybe water, maybe solvents such as acetone or xylene, maybe something else will remove it.

Deacon Ray and TIF like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Maybe, in some cases? Dunno. I have zero experience there. I think acetone is more commonly used.

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Successful removal of an artificial patina depends on what was applied. I've had coins that I'm pretty certain had women's makeup applied (a sandy color). Isopropyl alcohol worked for those.

Colored waxes may require mineral spirits.

Acetone is often helpful in removing applied patinas.

Stevearino, DonnaML, ominus1 and 2 others like this.
  5. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

As has been stated previously, patina, artificial or natural takes study of the compound and prior trial and error to affect.

Some coins have a very hard, glossy, and fragile patina which is often some sort of cyanoacrylate (super glue); I've seen what I believe to be super glued sand patinas. In this case, acetone works well.

Sometimes you have a Renaissance wax patina; these can be removed by acetone or alcohol, usually.

Sometimes you have a rather dense, paraffin wax-like situation in which case boiling might actually work, though I've never tried it.

Chemically-applied patinas, such as Jax Patina Restorer is hard to remove and I've yet to find a good way to do so. This is a liquid that will seep into every pore and sort of bind with the metal; removal of this can often damage the rest of the patina.

Electrolysis is a good way of stripping a coin to bare metal - which allows one to repatinate how they please.

Finally, a rust remover such as Naval Jelly will absolutely get absolutely everything off the surface of a coin. Danger is that it goes too far and starts to dissolve the metal itself. I've tried this before and ended up with some chemical burns and coins that pretty much lost all meaning. Not recommended, but it will "work"

PeteB, Oldhoopster and DonnaML like this.
  6. hotwheelsearl

Going back to the very original spirit of this thread, I have several coins I suspect to have an applied sand patina. However, the sand doesn't cover the entire fields, and they look pretty, so I leave them alone.
    Example below
    Constantine I AE Follis RIC VII Antioch 108D.JPG

Bing and DonnaML like this.
  7. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

what is the point of that? Are you being cynical?

8. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

You would like them better painted pink and green. Attractiveness is part of the con when they artificially treat the surface like that.

9. hotwheelsearl

Not really, just going with pure facts. The best way to prepare a coin for artificial patination is electrolysis, it's simple as that.

Just like the best way to paint a car is to sand/strip it down to bare metal, same goes for coins.

10. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

A car you can just replace the fender.

11. hotwheelsearl

Can’t do that on a coin...?

12. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

ANyway - they arrived - so I am fishing for advice

judian_zion_putah_2021_b_sm.jpg IMG_8438.JPG IMG_8437.JPG IMG_8436.JPG

Should I boil them in a Cauldrin of hot oil?

Roman Collector and Deacon Ray like this.
  13. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

The beautifully crisp and clear inscriptions would likely suffer if you were to attempt to remove the patina. I would leave them alone.

Here’s a link to a 2017 CoinTalk discussion about desert patina that you may find interesting.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/how-do-i-spot-fake-desert-patina.305141/

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    sand likes this.
  14. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Ryro, PeteB and Deacon Ray like this.
  15. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Not prepare! Remove

Draft saved Draft deleted