From A to Z, and Orange to Yellow

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bob L., Feb 9, 2017.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Darn it Jim, I'm a lawyer, not a dealer!

4a69dc066ecadefa4fa65c2ed38a55329aa4b104.jpg

I only raise potential issues to think about, as an exercise to get you thinking on the guidelines and procedures of how this experiment will go down (to ensure it is not rigged and it is done fairly). Better to think this through now than after the fact.

However, how you address all potential issues, and the rules as to how this experiment is to be conducted, Ill leave that to you coin experts and dealers to work out. I'm simply throwing a few things at you to consider and think about as you finalize the details amongst yourselves.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. R*L

R*L Well-Known Member

Sorry for bringing an old thread back from the dead but @TIF linked to this in another thread today and being a newbie to this forum I hadn’t seen it before. In light of the recent thread about these patinas I found this rather interesting. But it stops right before the climax!

@Severus Alexander what happened? Did the tests go ahead?

4. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I didn't find enough dealers who were willing to put their names behind it... but I didn't really try hard enough and should have another go at it!

R*L likes this.
  5. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

I dont collect roman coins....but those are beautiful bronzes! I love the desert patina!!

6. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

Sorry to bring this tread back from the brink of obscurity, but I was re-reading it and wondered where we stand today?

I see that both dealers are still on Vcoins.

Is there any way to block the inventory of certain dealers from showing in Vcoins search results?

7. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

No, there is not a function for blocking dealers.

Aethelred likes this.
  8. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

It looks like you can exclude words, and using the dealer name should work... Been mentioned before here.

Alegandron likes this.
  9. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Like tooling and smoothing, repatination of base metal coins is just a fact of life for the hobby. Often we can tell, often we can not. Europeans generally are fine with it, Americans generally are not. Both sides can be quite passionate about the issue. The situation exists and it wont change anytime soon. Its up to the buyer to decide whether or not to buy such coins. Of course I do understand that some people can not tell the difference between a repatinated coin and one that is natural, just as some can not tell if a coin is fake or not. It is part of the learning process.

Nathan B., Paul M. and Alegandron like this.
  10. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

unfortunately, that does not always work.

Paul M. and Justin Lee like this.
  11. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Until this thread, I was blissfully ignorant of the practice by these particular dealers, but ever since it was brought to my attention, they stick out like a sore thumb. Was browsing VCoins last night and noticed dozens upon dozens of examples.

cplradar and Nathan B. like this.
  12. LukeGob

LukeGob Well-Known Member

Old thread, but just wanted to say thanks for taking the time. Confirmed my fears. Zur has a few I would buy if he had left them alone. Currently start of 2020, zur is back, either banned or just gone from vcoins for a bit. New stuff looks as bad as the old. Though he seems to have added a greyish-black (I'm bad with colors) to the mix

13. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Excluding the name of a dealer from a vcoins search has never worked for me. Has anyone been able to get this to work?

John

14. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

If one looks at the silver denarii that dealer "A" has for sale (or has sold) on Vcoins, one can see that a lot of them seem to have an almost identical bluish tone, which he tends to describe as a "lovely multi colored tone" or the like. See this example of a Hadrian Aegyptos denarius, which I purchased a while back before I was familiar with this forum or saw this thread: https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/at...d_117138_travel_to_egypt/1096822/Default.aspx.

A few more examples:

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/at...161180_ad_bold_portrait/1103883/Default.aspx; https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/at...161180_ad_bold_portrait/1103883/Default.aspx; https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/at...roduct/hadrian_ad_117138/1094724/Default.aspx .

I do like the Hadrian coin, but I'm pretty sure there's something he must do to some of his coins in cleaning them that yields that particular result. They can't all tone like that naturally! Can anyone tell me what results in that kind of tone? Thanks.

fomovore and Stevearino like this.
  15. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Liver of sulfur.

Stevearino and DonnaML like this.
  16. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Thank you. I gather that there's no way of reversing its effects. Too bad, because the coin "in hand" doesn't look nearly as attractive as in the photo -- it's still a nice coin, but the tone looks very artificial, and over-polished. I guess I've learned my lesson.

17. catadc

catadc Well-Known Member

You can clean it. Search for "cleaning silver coins". For me, it worked well boiling the coin wrapped in foil in distilled water + sodium bicarbonate.

cplradar, DonnaML and Stevearino like this.
  18. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

How does one remove the patina?

19. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I thought all ancient coins were cleaned. They are found in the ground encrusted.

20. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Most are, yes. That is not the issue here. Artificial patina is.

TIF likes this.
  21. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

So it can be boiled off?

Draft saved Draft deleted