From A to Z, and Orange to Yellow

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bob L., Feb 9, 2017.

1. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

even their logo has acquired the patina....

logo.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

@Bob L., great info you have provided, much appreciated, thanks!

gregarious likes this.
  4. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Well it is "one of a kind" if you think about it. You're never going to find another yellow or orange coin like that. Next up is the color blue, these were found in the deepest oceans where the coins soaked up the blue from the sea. Wait, does that sound believable?

5. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

From Vcoins support:

"Thanks for the note. I've received a couple of help desk tickets about this posting and I will address it with the two dealers."

6. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Thank you for this post, Bob L. I have definitely wondered about the patina issue with both of these dealers. I've purchased 5 or 6 Judaeans from Mr. and Mrs. Zurquieh two years ago. Yes, they had the desert patina. I immediately sent them to NGC for certification and encapsulation (this was during my slab happy period.) Anyway I requested conservation services from NGC which includes a gentle cleaning to remove foreign residue. When the slabs came back the dusty patina was greatly reduced.

7. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to how many collectors on this site prefer a "sand" patina (assuming it's natural and not artificially applied) over the underlying patina that would normally be green or brownish?

Personally, I dislike sand patinas -- not that I would turn down a coin I wanted if it had this type of (natural) patina, just that I prefer bronzes with other patinas.

What are everyone else's preferences for this type of patina?

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Never bought sand patinas from these two in this thread.

I actually like sand patina, they can be attractive. I have a few of them. Now are they all natural? Not sure. I feel they are, acetone didn't remove any if it when I they arrived when I got them.

But I welcome them as I would any other patina.

I actually think I might have more coins with fake, regular patinas than sand.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    Paul M. and Theodosius like this.
  9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

11. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I like a natural sandy patina but not those that look spray painted. I wonder what the fake patina is hiding, pits etc. Would you want to pay the same price for the coin once all the blemishes are uncovered? If the coins are nice before the patina is applied, why would you put a fake patina on it?

dlhill132, Paul M. and Deacon Ray like this.
  12. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

A real sand or earthen patina in white, green, blue or other color can be very attractive but it is hard to say if it is real or a modern fake.

20 years ago I bought some desert patina coins from Israel if I remember correctly. Their patinas are powdery and irregularly colored. Nothing like the shiny hard patinas on coins I have gotten from these two sellers.

Paul M. and Deacon Ray like this.
  13. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Salem is notorious for adding fake "earthen" patina (he has some good material, though).

Deacon Ray likes this.
  14. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

Another very, very small sampling of AE's (as compared to the many hundreds of pics still online from past sales) from these two dealers, below. With 176 pages of “Sold Items” at Z’s store, and 22 pages of them at A’s store, I could literally compile dozens of these comparison charts. But obviously there is no need. The image at the start of this thread says it all - and each new chart would look pretty much the same. I think that every newbie to ancient coin collecting should peruse those “Sold Items” pages – along with the current inventory. It would be time well spent.

Thanks, all, for the comments posted on this thread.

a and z 2.jpg

15. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

I love my coins yellow or orange also, but look for river patinas instead :)

Paul M. likes this.
  16. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Here is mine from Zurqieh lol
    Project1 (2).jpg

Curtisimo, Sallent, Mikey Zee and 7 others like this.
  17. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

A bit of an update here. Those of you who took the time to register complaints/concerns with VCoins about this have had some impact, it seems. Both dealers have been called out by VCoins management (Zach Beasley). As of yesterday, according to one of the regulars on the CCF board, Zuqieh had replied to management:

“Now, for newly listed coins, we will add to the description of each coin, a note stating the condition of the coin whether it's as found or if any other added sand, soil etc. And with time we will add this to old stock step by step.”

The cynic in me recognizes that he can say whatever he pleases to cover his tracks. He can claim that all the coins are “as found” to deny responsibility for the obvious work done to many of the AE’s in his inventory. However, I will state this: He did just upload a bunch of small Elymaeans today, and they were free of applied patinas. The description of each stated, “Coin is professionally cleaned.” They looked genuinely nice. I take this as a hopeful sign. He also uploaded a lot of Judaeans this week, each saying “Coin is as found with original patina and soil.” Now, these may have been “enhanced” – they each have an identical grayish/yellowish patina – nothing like the garish yellow-orange I associate with his work. So whether the new ones have been worked, I can’t say for sure.

We should stay vigilant and see what his future additions look like. If he strays from the straight and narrow, he should be called out again.

As for Athena: As of yesterday, VCoins management still had not heard back from him. He only uploaded a few AE's this week, all of which had at least some of the orange stuff. Here's the one with the most even coverage:

Hci48Qine9kS6gNZeJ5M3bZwsGY2Tx.jpg

The description states "Lovely natural red earthen patina." Amazingly, happens to look just like thousands of others he has posted through the years. I suspect he will still have to be watched carefully...old habits are hard to break.

18. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

As red as I can get.

Didrachm of Kanishka.
    Kanishkadidrachm.jpg

19. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Is it a bad sign if it can be scratched off? Think i read something to this effect once. I actually bought a Gelimer monogrammed nummus from Zuqieh several months ago that has some of that yellow sand patina. I had suspicions about him but I (I'm sure mistakenly) thought the coin was too small (8-9 mm) and thus not worth the hassle to tamper with. But this thread made me take the coin out and scratch the sand patina on the edge and with a bit of force I managed to scrape a bit off.

20. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

21. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

So I have a question for those knowledgeable about Vcoins' policies. I know that a dealer must offer full refunds and returns for authenticity but where does alteration fit into that? If one were to buy one of these coins or a coin with some other undisclosed alteration, would Vcoins require the dealer to allow a return? I'm asking because I'm in this situation right now and have not yet heard back from the dealer and am not sure what I should expect.

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted