FRN errror needs explanation.

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Jersey magic man, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

I know the error is a partial back to front wet ink transfer. BUT... i always thought that the bills were printed from highest serial number to lowest. If that is the case, how can the lower numbered note have the darker impression? I wish I could track down the in-between note!
    1963A $10 offse comparet.jpg

SteveInTampa likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lettow

lettow Senior Member

I believe the answer lies in how they were printed at this time. Specifically, there were four passes through the presses.

First printing was the back. This was when this error occurred. This would put the darker note below the lighter ones in the stack of sheets.

Second printing was the intaglio face. After this print the sheet with the darker note was on top.

Next was the FED information and signatures on the face. When this was done the sheet with the darker note was below the others.

When the sheets were fed into the numbering machine the sheet with the lighter print was run through before the darker one because the lighter ones were above the darker ones in the stack when the previous process was completed.

Because the sheets were numbered in inverse order, the darker sheet received the lower number.

paddyman98 and SteveInTampa like this.
  4. Jersey magic man

I guess I didn't think it through the entire process. All that sounds perfectly reasonable. Thank you for the answer.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Bills are not printed in the fashion you suggest. Time to do a little research.

6. Jersey magic man

Who are you addressing this to?

7. Collecting Nut

You stated that you thought that bills were printed from the highest to the lowest serial number. That's not exactly how it works ascthey are printed on sheets. I'm suggesting that you do a little research to get better answers.

8. lettow

lettow Senior Member

He is correct, numbering starts with the highest number so that the sheets stack in descending order when finished.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  9. Collecting Nut

Yes but it's a little different than that.

10. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Actually, it’s exactly like that. How do you feel it’s different @Collecting Nut ?

Oldhoopster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted