Friend bringing his coin inheritance over this evening...squee!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Gnomey, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Gnomey

Gnomey Active Member

I have a good friend bringing over his inheritance this evening. He inherited (amongst many things) 1/3 of his father and grandfather's coin collection. My buddy is in his early 50's and knows nothing about coins.

In his brief description over the phone, he confirmed some Indian Head gold coins (the coins are not all gold though.) He received them tossed willy-nilly into a one gallon freezer bag and says the coins fill the bag to the volume of a football. They have been in his safe for about 5 years.

I am extremely excited to help him ID any rarities, and I will help him get grade-worthy coins graded.

Has anyone else ever had an experience like this? I feel very lucky to get to see this collection. I hope it lives up to the hype I have created in my head!:wacky:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    jlogan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I hope Mr. Willy Nilly didn't louse up the coins too much when he threw them into the bag. Most food storage bags don't contain PVC, but it would be a good idea to check just the same.

Chris

mikenoodle likes this.
  4. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

Sounds like a fun time ....

5. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Exciting! I wanna see the other 2/3 as well. :D

6. That sounds like a lot of fun to me. Take a few pics if you can. If he wants to sell, be sure to consider posting some here on CT. Enjoy, TC

Gnomey likes this.
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

that sounds so exciting. please let us know how it went. :blackalien:

8. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

ask him if i can have a gold $5....
    (jk, jk :))

Gnomey likes this.
  9. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Sounds fun to me.

10. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

Sounds really neat. Be sure to take lots of pictures for us. :)

treylxapi47 likes this.
  11. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Parent's neighbor needed help looking through old coins. They had a CC Morgan, not much else. I told them that was the only one really worth holding onto for more than melt value.

Gnomey likes this.
  12. Gnomey

Gnomey Active Member

So here is what we found:

One gold $2.5 Indian Head, $48 face value in 90% Halves (walkers and Franklins), $9.5 face in 40% Kennedys, 2 common date junk Morgans, one 1907 Barber dime junker, and one 1879 Morgan in about AU55 with spectacular toning. I

will post some pics if I can. By the time we got back from dinner it was late and wifey was rushing us. Unfortunately all of the walkers were 1940's. I did find a 1955 Franklin in AG-G. My buddy however was not interested in letting me buy any of it, but it was still exciting to see what he had.

13. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Well give him awhile. When he does want to part with some of it maybe he'll get back to you. I would ask him in another 6 to 8 months and see what he says.

Gnomey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted