French medals

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dave M, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I have to admit I have a bit of a growing interest in French medals, and have picked up a couple over the last year. I'm kind of at the beginning stages in this area though, probably buying stuff that's priced high, not sure what I'm getting, but just buying what I like. In any event, a couple questions:
    - Is there a definitive catalog or numbering system for the French medals (stuff from the last 150 years, let's say)
    - What is a good storage and display method for these? Some have their own ancient boxes, but some are shipped naked. They're often about 5mm thick and 2-2.5" in diameter, and it doesn't look like airtites are thick enough to hold them.

Thanks
    Dave

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Siggi Palma

Siggi Palma Well-Known Member

I love french silver medals and if I had one more slot to fill I would defently start collecting them. These medals are art pieces..........

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Join the club, Dave! Most of my French medals are 50mm-90mm. I've been collecting them for the last 8 years. Fortunately, I bought most of mine before there was a great deal of interest in them and silver was below $6/oz, so the prices were very low.

I searched and searched and found that there is no single, definitive reference book on French medals. Yes, if you're lucky and have 50 years, you might be able to find the annual catalogs from the Monnaie de Paris for the years 1800-1900, but they will cost you $2K+. The best that I could come up with is the Biographical Dictionary of Medallists by Forrer. It is an 8-volume set with more than 5200 pages. It doesn't provide illustrations for all of the works of the artists, but it does provide names of the works and most dates of issuance. The set covers, not only French medalists, but medalists from all over the world from 50BC to 1900AD.

Here is one of my favorites from 1928 which depicts Marianne, the symbol of France, standing before the French Senate building.

Chris

Attached Files:

5. leaconcen

leaconcen learning constantly

I was about to suggest Brent-Krueger, but they are out of business now. I have found the 60mm ring holder can still be found. If you check around, they may still have the 57mm and 63mm airtites Brent-Krueger advertized. I have bought some very thick medals, which the ring type airtite seems to fit. If nothing else, you can try the larger direct fit airtite made for the 5 oz. ATB. Good Luck, I have the same problem.

6. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I was hoping there'd be a simple answer to the holder situation. Rats... Thanks for the info guys, and for the catalog leads, I'll start poking around. Either of you seen this catalog by Maier?

Here's a medal I picked up... 70mm, a great size.

Education Obv2.jpg

7. cpm9ball

Louis Oscar Roty was one of the foremost medalists in the latter half of the 19th century. Do you have a photo of the reverse?

Chris

8. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I bought it for my sister who's a teacher, but I'm going to have some trouble handing it over to her :)

The reverse:
    Education Rev2.jpg

9. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Chris do you have your collection posted anywhere?

Dave

10. cpm9ball

Only if you call scattered in numerous coin forums in addition to these being posted!

Here is another of my favorites by Jules Clement Chaplain. He and Roty practically wrote the book on the contemporary movement in France of the late 1800's.

Attached Files:

11. cpm9ball

Dave, I almost forgot that I do have an album of a specific few posted here. Click on my username, go to my Profile, scroll down on the left to Albums, click on "More" and open "Marianne - The Symbol of France".

Chris

12. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Great stuff, thanks for those images... I'll have to get my other ones up to show.

Oh wait, there's more! I'll go look, thanks!

Dave

13. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Quite the collection of Mariannes, Chris, thanks

Dave

14. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Don't write off contemporary medals from the French Mint in Paris. http://www.monnaiedeparis.fr/e-boutique/medailles

h
    ere's some of the medals I bought from them. The photos are not the best. (didn't blow dust from them before taking photos.
    I've got some updated photos I'll try to find. CPM9ball has an amazing collection of French medals as do some others.

cleopatre_o.jpg NYC.jpg prometheus_obv.jpg Orpheus_o.jpg

15. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

I really like medals, too. I'm never sure about when they were minted or whether they are "authentic," however.

For example, when was this medal really minted and what was the number minted?

Charles X medal.jpg

The coin below was incorrectly labeled by NGC. It was really minted 100 years later (1889) than stated. I assume it is common. Any background?

French token.jpg reverese French token.jpg

Thanks for starting the subject.

guy

16. cpm9ball

Bart,

There are times when the Paris Mint will release restrikes, and you would need to search their annual catalogs to determine whether or not they produced any. The problem is that these annual catalogs are very hard to come by and are fairly expensive.

However, there is one other way that might give you a clue for your 1757 medal. You see, the French Mint didn't start using a different (mintmark) on the medals until 1841. Each new Director of the Mint would select his own design for the different. About 1880, the Mint decided to do away with the Director choosing his own design, and the cornucopia became the permanent mintmark for medals. So, if you have any Paris Mint medal that is dated earlier than 1841 and it has a mintmark on the edge, then it is a restrike.

I have the 1889 Universal Exposition medal, too. Give me time to dig it out, and I'll give you more info. In the meantime, here is another of the official medals produced for the 1889 Exposition.

Attached Files:

17. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Chris: Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

I think medals are a really interesting piece of numismatic history.

Thank you, again.

guy

18. cpm9ball

No problem. I always enjoy talking about medals. I even tried to get us a separate forum, but they shot the idea down.

I can't seem to locate my 1889 Exposition medal like yours. (I've got too many!) Can you check yours and tell me if the designer's name is on it? Then I can get some more background info for you.

Chris

19. cpm9ball

20. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Here's another medal I picked up. Called "Alliance Francaise", by Daniel Dupuis the design shows France teaching the children of Africa. A common theme in those times. I'm curious if anyone knows when this was issued. It's 50mm, silver.

Dave

Alliance Francaise Dupuis a2.jpg Alliance Francaise Dupuis b2.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted