Featured French Medal - Maria Magdalena of Austria by Guillaume Dupré

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Iosephus, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Iosephus

Iosephus Well-Known Member

Maria Magdalena of Austria

Work of Guillaume Dupré, 1613

[​IMG]
    Lead, 97.2 mm Ø, 77.3 g

Obverse: Bust of Maria Magdalena facing left, with elaborate hairstyle, wearing open ruff, intricate lace collar, and jewels. Around, MAR · MAGDALENÆ · ARCH · AVSTR · MAG · D · ETR (Maria Magdalena, Archduchess of Austria, Grand Duchess of Tuscany). Under truncation, GDP 1613 .

Maria Magdalena of Austria (1589-1631) was the youngest daughter of Karl II, Archduke of Inner Austria, and his wife Maria Anna of Bavaria. She married Cosimo II de' Medici (1590-1621) in 1608, and together they would have eight children. Cosimo II succeeded his father to become Grand Duke of Tuscany in 1609 until his passing. His mother, Christina of Lorraine, and Maria Magdalena would then act as regents for the new grand duke, the ten-year-old Ferdinando II. Pollard notes that Maria Magdalena was portrayed in similar court dress and with the same heavy necklace in an anonymous painting from her time as a widow. This medal was created during Dupré's visit to Florence in 1613, where he also made large uniface portrait medals of Cosimo II de' Medici, Christina of Lorraine, and Cosimo's brother Francesco.

Provenance: Ex Ernst Otto Horn collection

References: cf. Jones 1988, no. 44 (obverse); Pollard 2007, no. 643

This piece nicely complements the medal below of Cardinal Maffeo Barberini which was already in my collection, created by Dupré the previous year during his trip through Italy:

Cardinal Maffeo Barberini

Work of Guillaume Dupré, 1612

[​IMG]
    Bronze, 92 mm Ø, 44.7 g

Obverse: Bust of Maffeo Barberini facing right, wearing a biretta and hooded cassock. Within two inscribed circles, MAPH · S · R · E · P · CAR · BARBERIN · SIG · IVST · PRÆ · BONO · LEG (Maffeo, Priest of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Barberini, Chancellor and Legate of Bologna). Beneath the truncation, G DVPRE · F 1612 .

Maffeo Barberini was born in April of 1568 in Florence, but was raised by his uncle in Rome after his father's death. He was educated by the Jesuits and studied law at the University of Pisa. In 1601, Pope Clement VIII appointed him as papal legate to the court of Henry IV in France in order to present congratulations on the birth of the dauphin. He was appointed as Archbishop of Nazareth in 1604 and was sent as nuncio to Paris. Pope Paul V elevated him to the cardinalate on September 11, 1606. He was further appointed as papal legate to Bologna in August of 1611. This portrait medal was executed while Dupré was traveling through Italy, with Bologna being on the path of Dupré's journey from Venice to Florence. On August 6, 1623, Barberini was elected pope and took the name of Urban VIII.

References: cf. Johnson 1990, no. 133 (reverse); Jones 1988, no. 40

gronnh20, DonnaML, Puckles and 24 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PatAR

PatAR New Member

I must admit that I've not seen many lead medals. That one appears to have quite attractive surfaces given its composition. The bronze is similarly appealing. Dupré really brought life to the portraits. I can almost feel the fabric of Barberini's clothing!

Nice medals and a great writeup as always. Thanks for sharing these Iosephus.

4. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Fantastic! Maria certainly had a heck of an under bite. Reminds one of "Hogmouth" Leopold! Sure would like to see the reverses as well!

Puckles and lordmarcovan like this.
  5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Beautiful medals and I enjoyed your write ups as well!

6. Iosephus

The medals are uniface (the "reverses" are just the obverse design incuse), so I didn't photograph the backs.

7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

8. Blake Davis

Blake Davis Well-Known Member

The medals of the last few centuries are sometimes amazingly beautiful - I really do not understand why there is not more of a market for these. Much of engraving, as on this piece, are gorgeous. Maybe there needs to be a price guide?

9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I doubt any priceguide to medals of any one century, let alone several, could ever hope to be comprehensive. It's far too vast a field.

I think most references stick to a single theme (British coronation medals, Napoleonic medals, papal medals, etc), and even then probably aren't anywhere near being complete - even within their own narrower scope.

Intimidation at the vastness of the field and its scattered, multifaceted reference material might be one reason that people are not more into medals. I suspect this is true of Ancient coins, as well. Given their obvious appeal, you'd think they'd be more popular.

But yes- medals certainly an aesthetically and historically appealing niche within exonumia.

7Calbrey likes this.
  10. Iosephus

There are a large number of references for medals, and many are surprisingly complete. However, there are basically no price guides, and for the period I collect (15th-18th century), conditions of manufacture (cast quality, die quality, contemporary vs. later, aftercasts, etc.) make it much more difficult to price than simple grades that modern coins get. Also, many medals appear so infrequently that a price guide probably wouldn't be very useful.

As an example of some of the references that are available, you can see a list of a good portion of my library here:
    http://www.virtuscollection.com/references/bibliography

Jwt708 likes this.
  11. Puckles

Puckles Cat Whisperer

Funny that, I thought Hogmouth as well as soon as I saw it! Amazing piece of work though.

12. Cachecoins

Cachecoins Historia Moneta

Absolutely stunning workmanship and artistry.

Draft saved Draft deleted