French Jeton reference

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by TTerrier, Feb 9, 2019.

1. TTerrier

TTerrier Well-Known Member

Hi everyone - I usually hang out on the ancients forum but I saw some jetons in a recent auction that looked really interesting. I bought one of Louis Philippe I off MA Shops but to avoid jinxing myself l won't post it until I get it.

I see Mitchener has a catalogue of French and low country jetons and Gadoury has one for insurance issuers. Does anyone have a recommendation for a catalogue for just French jetons that covers all issuers?

Thanks for your help!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I have the Mitchiner reference. It's about 850 pages and measures 8-1/2"x12". I like it because there are several indexes in the back that cross-reference each (listed) jeton with Persons, Corporate Bodies, Places, Designs, Technical Aspects and Inscriptions, any of which might be a part of the jeton. Besides images, the individual listings will usually provide such information as composition, weight, diameter as well as translations. There is also a price guide, but like the Red Book, I don't put much stock in it.

In my opinion, the Mitchiner reference is the best, and the reason that the Low Countries (Belgium, Netherlands & Luxembourg) are included is because many of the jetons for these countries were produced in France.

Chris

4. TTerrier

TTerrier Well-Known Member

Hi Chris - thanks for the great information. The cross-referencing is exactly what I'm looking for. I will try to pick up a copy so I can get a sense of what area(s) I might want to collect.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I noticed that copies are currently advertised for sale at $100.00. When I purchased my copy about 13 years ago, it was $150.00.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted