French doubled die 10 centimes

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by admiral coins, May 25, 2017.

1. admiral coins

admiral coins New Member

for 18 months, I have been searching for any info pertaining to a 1986 France 10 centimes graded by ANACS MS 62 DDR . To this day, I have yet to find any info. Maybe this forum will help shed some light. Perhaps the coin can be re-labeled as " discovery piece". I hope the pics are good enough for I have taken them with a camera phone. IMG_20170505_111034414_HDR.jpg Screenshot_20170524-084703.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

In Le Franc, this paragraph is in the notes about th 10c you have (for all dates, not specific to 1986):

Il existe, sur les differents milesimes, de tres nombreuses varieties dues a des frappes faibles ou les legends, signatures ou symbols sont incomplets, ainsi que des coins choques ou l’inverse des plis du col ou l’inverse des rubans de la Marianne apparaissent dans le 0 de la valeur faciale, varieties assez rare et impressionannantes.

I am not sure, but "Coins choques" could include doubled die. Though not sure you should quote me on that.

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

very cool doubling. :cat:

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

yes, it is a DD, but foreign collectors do not collect them as avidly as US collectors

6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Foreign EVERYTHING do not do ANYTHING as avidly as U.S. ANYBODY does them. We are the world's maniacs.

mattsobo and dog_pound like this.
  7. admiral coins

admiral coins New Member

I find it hard to believe that this doubled die error coin has been in existence for 31 yrs and yet I have found no mention of it anywhere. I do feel that it has already been documented and I have yet to find the documentation. I guess we just spend more time hunting errors here in the US.

8. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I'm not sure what more you're expecting. I provided documentation from one of the definitive French catalogs that states there are many varieties to be found on this coin, including die varieties. Others provided the information that French collectors don't typically focus on such varieties as American collectors do. Hence a pretty good reason for the lack of catalogs detailing every single variety of this coin.

9. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

What a concept! Not focusing on errors, hmm? What would happen to the thread count on CT if Americans adopted this mindset? I must be attitudinally French. I've consumed enough Bordeaux over the years to have an excuse.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  10. admiral coins

admiral coins New Member

Dave, I guess when I translated the paragraph you posted, i understood it to be about weak strikes resulting in poor quality and missing legends and devices subsequently creating multiple die varieties. I'm not yet satisfied that this doubled or " re-cut" die is common to the point that I stop researching.

Draft saved Draft deleted