French Coins Pre 1945

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by RSweatt, Oct 10, 2005.

1. RSweatt

RSweatt New Member

I recently purchased a bag of old coins from an antique dealer. My wife makes necklaces and bracelets using coins from europe that she picked up as a flight attendant. Some of the coins have the following "chambers de commerce de france" bon pour 1 franc. (Date 1924) or same with date 1922 for 2 franc. I also found several made out of a light metal silver in color that say "Travail Famille Patrie" 1 franc dated 1944, 1942, 1943. I have some others that say "Union Commerciale de Vimoutiers" for 10 cent dated 1922. Do you think these were actually used as money? Thank you for any help thak you can offer. Bob

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy Bob - Welcome to the Forum !!

Yes, they were used as money. The coins are rather common as that was just the standard design for those dates.

4. GDJMSP

I had to check on this one just to make sure - " I have some others that say "Union Commerciale de Vimoutiers" for 10 cent dated 1922."

That one - I do not think was a circulating coin. It may have been an essai ( pattern ). I'll see if I can find it.

5. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Doug,the Union Commerciale piece is the French version of Notgeld - emergency money.Some of these are common,but some are also scarce.

Aidan.

6. GDJMSP

Thanks Aidan - saved me some searching ;)

7. RSweatt

RSweatt New Member

Thanks for the information and for replying so quickly. Bob

Draft saved Draft deleted