French Cities Chambres de Commerce de L'Herault 25 centimes 1921-1924

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by edduns, Feb 27, 2017.

1. edduns

edduns Senior Member

Double Die & maybe a Die Clash under her chin & neck?
    I understand this is a Token and they are made sloppy.
    I believe these were:
    Orientation Medal alignment ↑↑
    My coin is:
    Orientation Coin alignment ↑↓

IMG_9314.JPG IMG_9315.JPG IMG_9314-tile.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Are there any markings on the edge that would indicate that it was produced by the Monnaie de Paris?

Chris

4. edduns

edduns Senior Member

No markings just a rough edge

5. cpm9ball

In all likelihood, it was produced by a private mint. I have an extensive collection of French medals from the 19th and early 20th centuries. Medals produced by the Monnaie de Paris have had edge markings as early as 1841. The Paris Mint has consistently produced some of the highest quality medals. The same cannot be said for private mints.

I'm confused by the dual-date and the denomination(?). Maybe someone else will chime in.

Chris

6. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Numista lists that coin as medal alignment, but most of the chamber of commerce issues were coin alignment. So I'm guessing that's a typo in numista, if that's where you're looking. I do not have the coin to compare.

Chris, during WWI and WWII, all the French emergency money was printed and minted in oddball places. The mint in Paris was, um, preoccupied, and could not maintain coinage thoughout the country. Much of the coinage was being hoarded for its gold and silver content anyway. There was authorization for local chambers of commerce to issue money in small denominations (coins and notes), but they would expire after a period. I'm guessing that's what the "1921-1924" meant on this coin, but I'm not sure.

7. cpm9ball

Thanks for the info, Dave!

FWIW, I tried looking up both names, Louis Paul and Theunon, in my Forrer reference book, Biographical Dictionary of Medallists (which also includes coiners) and all I could find were listings for the 18th & early 19th centuries.

Chris

8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Probably so; I do not have that piece either but cgb.fr says it has a coin alignment ("Axe des coins : 6 h."). Agree with your theory regarding the years on the coin, also because others from Hérault have similar but partly different double years. See here - click on "Hérault (dpt)" in the list on the left.

Christian

9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

As for the second name, try Thevenon instead. ;) There is a catalog of those French notgeld pieces, "Monnaies de nécessité (1800-2000)" by Roland Élie. Don't have it either though.

Christian

10. edduns

edduns Senior Member

Thanks all for the info - I did get a chance to catch up on my French.
    All agree it is a Double Die and maybe a possible Die Clash??

11. cpm9ball

Yes, I tried spelling it both ways. No luck!

Chris

12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The Reverse side has a bunch of Die Cracks! I see at least 4 of them..
    And it's Doubled Die not Double ;)

13. edduns

edduns Senior Member

Thanks paddyman98 Doubled Die it is. Probably no Die Clash?

Draft saved Draft deleted