Freedom gained

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Sometimes a nice coin comes up for sale and it is slabbed. Well, if the price is right the coin can be acquired anyway and the problem fixed. Freedom can be gained.

Alex1.JPG
    Alex2.JPG

A C clamp and a cloth:
    Alex3.JPG

Wrap it in the cloth to keep splinters from flying. Tighten. It creaks and crackles a bit and then there is a loud "pop".

Alex4.JPG

The red pen shows the top has separated.

Alex5.JPG
    With a little prying it comes apart and the grading tag comes out (it is not damaged--I see the photo makes it look damaged, but that's a piece of broken plastic distorting the image. The tag is just fine.)
    Alex6.JPG

Here is the coin with a simple iPad photo. It has, as most Alexanders do, high relief.
    Alex9.JPG Alex10.JPG

Alexander the Great, Damascus mint (determined by the Ram's forepart at 8:00 on the reverse and ΔA (DAmascus) almost off the flan below the chair). 17.12 grams.
    Martin Price: 3201. "c. 330-c. 320 BC" likely, but not certainly, a lifetime issue (Alexander died in 323 BC).

For many Greek cities there are many minor varieties (this one lacks letters below the seat that others have) and there is often not enough evidence to distinguish lifetime varieties from similar varieties issued until 320. I choose to think of this one as a lifetime issue.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Great coin and nice job in freeing your coin.

4. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Lovely coin, but not I cannot buy it from you!! haha

stevex6 likes this.
  5. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

6. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Nice. I'm still waiting to free my Pius sestertius but I don't have a c clamp so will have to resort to a chisel and hammer. Not ideal which is why I'm putting it off!

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice job, i'm sure it's glad it can breath again too ;)

8. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Great coin and a good job of freeing the captive.

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

No C clamp? How positively awful! I was once told one can never own too many clamps. You could use your vise.:) I sold my band saw so my next outing will be pressure.
    000slab0705.jpg

stevex6 likes this.
  11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very nice. I wonder how a wire saw would do on a slab.

12. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Congrats ... the coin is pretty sweet too

Draft saved Draft deleted