Free Mason wheat penny??

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by George Jay, Dec 29, 2016.

1. George Jay

George Jay Member

Bought these two pennies today for 2$ From the app let go from some elderly gentleman. Has anyone in the community ever came across something like this? image.jpg image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. George Jay

George Jay Member

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Kool counterstamp. Not much value except to those who collect such examples.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Weird how both counterstamps are upside down.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The punch and die made for these designs were produced by an acquaintance who retired from the Philadelphia Mint.

_MG_2355.JPG

Shriners Dime.jpg

Chris

Attached Files:

VDB and Amos 811 like this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

While I do not know the meaning of the Free Mason symbols, I do know that when it is upside down, there is a distinct meaning in having it that way. You have 2 counter-punched wheat pennies that are considered PMD or Post Mint Damaged. There are people that collect counter stamps and since you paid $2.00 for them, that is probably top value given the circulated condition of the coins.

8. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I've found quite a few FM counterstamped coins over the years, this is my fav:
    1951D_toned_masonCounterStamp.jpg 1951D_toned_masonCounterStamp2.jpg 1951D_toned_masonCounterStampREV.jpg

green18 likes this.
  9. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Just to add...why is my coin EXTRA cool? Nobody would have a reason to ever "mess" with this coin (beyond counterstamping it).

It clearly shows real, market acceptable toning. Take note of the colors and progressions. Everything is UNDER the brown patina. Looking straight on with the eye, it appears mostly brown. Start angling the light and the colors come through. Thin film interference at it's finest.

This coin also demonstrates the relationship between the of compressing metal and toning. The depressed area on the reverse is mint red. Whatever toning agent the coin was exposed to had a minor toning effect on that area. With Lincolns, I've seen this effect, the softer issues tend to tone and hard, well-struck coins seem more resistant to toning.

My theory for Lincolns: Post 60's coining pressures increased over the decades. This has kept billions of decently stored coins in full red state over that period.

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted