Free books

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Mar 27, 2015.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/mb?a=listis;c=1850525919;sort=title_a;pn=1

If you have not seen the notice elsewhere, you might want to check the above link to 540 ANS numismatic books now made freely available online. There is a lot of good stuff here including everal volumes I had paid good money for paper copies. Many will require a click or two to get to the table of contents to see what is there but others can be figured out from the titles. Unless you are a teenage speed reader, it might take you the rest of your life to get full value out of this material.

One I specifically recommend is the Campbell book on fourrees from which I learned most of what I know on the subject. It has micro-great photos of cross sections that help understand the subject mostly because of the way the author explains what you are seeing in the photos which could be considered a bit different than anything you are likely to have seen elsewhere.
    http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=inu.30000104992965;view=1up;seq=7

randygeki, Okidoki, chrsmat71 and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Kudos to you, sir!

4. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

I have fled to Google to find out what a fourrée is, and now I know. Thanks! Never heard that word before!

Would some contemporary Chinese counterfeits be considered fourrées?

5. OldGoldGuy

OldGoldGuy Members Only Jacket

Incredible link! I have downloaded 10 books so far just in case I lose the link.

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have several pages on fourrees which have been promoted to death here in the past but anyone who does not know the term is invited to view them.
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/fourree.html
    Just a few:
    Otho silver over copper
    [​IMG]

Julia Domna silver over copper
    0jd4tilt.jpg
    Byzantine gold over silver
    rz0455bb1174.jpg
    I know nothing about contemporary Chinese counterfeits so can not comment on them. Current US cents are fourree, technically, with a more valuable metal over a cheaper core. I do not consider the current layered CN/Cu 'silver' to be fourree since the edges were not hidden and the reason was not to deceive but to produce something vending machines in 1965 would accept.

randygeki, TIF and Bing like this.
  7. doug5353

Do you mean that the edge "shows" on clad coins so that vending machines will accept them?!? Another revelation! I thought it was just cheapo corner-cutting.

8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Great link! Thanks, Doug.

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Thanks Doug.

10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

very cool thanks DS. are there any other ones here you (or anyone else) would recommend?

11. ancientnut

ancientnut Well-Known Member

12. doug5353

Bing likes this.
  13. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, Doug. I downloaded three publications and now I know where I can look up old ANS articles. I already have paper copies of quite a few of those publications, but there is other good stuff there too.

Draft saved Draft deleted