Free ancient coin!

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Edward J Witherspoon, Aug 25, 2016.

1. As a way of saying hi, I'm giving away a fully attributed Antoninianus of Gallienus. Hmm, but how to decide the winner? Let's try this: Between now and Sunday at 5 PM Central Time, tell me what I should use for my NEXT contest. The suggestion that gets the most likes wins the coin. That simple. Gallienus.jpg This is a decent enough coin, but nothing special, so don't stuff the ballot box! Just reply with your idea for a future coin give away contest, and the suggestion with the most likes wins! (Yep, flip with full attribution, and free shipping included). Let's have fun! Mods please let me know and feel free to pull this if it is inappropriate.

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Everyone likes a free coin but I think the best game or contest were posted recently by Valientnight & ancientguru with their guess the ruler & guess the city (?)
    Apologies if I misspelled names & title of contest. Going off memory & past my normal bed time.

4. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Wet t-shirt contest!

Jwt708 and Smojo like this.
  5. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

But no dudes!!!

bdunnse likes this.
  6. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Ok. My 2nd idea is for a coin design contest. I think I have a pair of winners in mind!

7. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

What do you mean by 'use' for your next contest? The type of contest or the prize?

8. Type of contest - the prize will be another nice, but entry level coin :)

9. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

Do trivia on all type of coins, with a couple days for each answer and each question gets harder. The first person with the correct answer gets the most followed by the second and third person.

Sent from my A463BG using Tapatalk

10. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Looks like the devil on the reverse, lol.

11. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I think you should use cointalk for your next contest..... that makes sense, right??

Coinlover67 likes this.
  12. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

My favorites are the "Guess the Authenticity" posts. That way even I can play without knowing anything about ancients.

Sallent likes this.
  13. My whole idea with this is to try and give exposure to ancient coins to some who may not have had that before, so I will be looking for contests, like this one, where no knowledge of ancient coins is necessary. I would absolutely love ideas to get a coin of three out to younger collectors who have never considered ancients. I have a passion for classical history, and collecting ancient coins is the physical manifestation of that. I absolutely want to try and bring new collectors over to this corner of the hobby!

14. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

upload_2016-8-27_9-49-14.png
    Found these in the junk bin.

Anyway, how about a "Guess The Price" contest?

15. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I guess it depends what you're trying to accomplish with the contest. I would go for a "pass it on" contest. People focus on doing service or something good and then reporting it back here. If you wanted to you could make it numismatic related. Someone has to do something good related to coin collecting, maybe giving away coins to some YN or introducing someone to the hobby. I have a WW2 Uniform I wear sometimes (holidays and the like) and I always keep a pocket full of WW2 coins to give away to kids.

Edward J Witherspoon likes this.
  16. I like it, but need to balance the "good deed" with simple. Whatever wins this contest, I am polishing an idea for the next give away. After all, I think the wet t shirt contest is in the lead, and I'm not sure how workable that is :) I do intend to do several give aways, if I can drum up some interest amongst the next generation.

17. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

I think I am in the lead!

18. And bdunse is the winner, with a whopping 2 likes! Please PM me your address and I'll send you your plunder! And thanks to all who participated!

19. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Ha! I donate it to the winner of the wet t-shirt contest. Maybe you can get all the moderators to post a pic of themselves in a wet t- shirt. Winner gets the ancient! Doug @GDJMSP might be older than the coin though so he would just be getting a "modern".

Edward J Witherspoon and rooman9 like this.
  20. Not sure a wet t contest will fly, so in honor of the future, how about we donate the coin to ACE, Ancient Coins for Education?

bdunnse likes this.
  21. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Draft saved Draft deleted