Frederick the Great, King of Prussia

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, May 7, 2016.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Some background: I am currently playing a campaign in Empire: Total War. For those that are unfamiliar, it is a turn-based historical strategy game for PC where you take control of one of many nations that existed in the 1700s, like Britain, Spain, France, etc., and make that nation powerful and prosperous through diplomacy, war, exploration, resources, and trade. I am playing as Prussia at the moment, and have been pretty successful thus far, especially after sending out trade fleets and establishing colonies in the Americas. Anyways, curiosity led me to wanting to know more about Prussia, aside from the little I already knew.

Eventually I decided that I wanted something 1700s Prussian for my collection. Did a quick eBay search but there wasn't much to go on, but fortunately I was patient, and managed to snag up this beautiful piece of art. This medal is a little worn but much of the detail is still there, and as a Roman collector, there is much that I can appreciate as well. The confident, realistic, imperial bust; the generous use of Latin legends and phrases (Trajan would be proud of this especially); the imagery of victory over a vanquished foe on the reverse. The Roman Empire never returned, but its (1st-2nd cent.) style of making coins/medals/medallions certainly did, and it came back hard.

[​IMG]

(its big stuff like this that remind me that I really need a second light source to fully illuminate whatever I am photographing... oh, and click the photo! It looks even more awesome enlarged :D)

This 48 mm-wide medal commemorates Frederick II (the Great), King of Prussia, and his victory over the Austrian army near Prague in 1757 during the Seven Years' War (its American theater is known as the French and Indian War).

Battle by coincidence happened on May 6 and I wanted to have this posted on it's 259th anniversary but due to being me busy I just managed to get this up, on the 7th. Oh well, its still the 6th in some parts of the world as I type this.

Quick description:

Obv: FRIDERICVS MAGN D G REX BORVSS EL BRAND DVX SILES ET

Rev: FAMA PRVDENTIA ET VIRTVTE (above), AVSTR EXERC PROPE PRAG FVNDIT CAESO ET PRAGA OBSESSA VI MAjI MDCCLVII (below), VICTORIA FREDERICI MAGN (in shield), ALBISI MOLD (to right of Bohemia), Victory kicking off Bohemia's crown and shooting lightning at her à la Emperor Palpatine

Rough English translation (helped by a French translation I found online):

Obv: Frederick the Great, by the Grace of God, King of Prussia, Elector of Brandenburg, Duke of Silesia, Et Cetera (?)

Rev: Fame/Glory, Prudence(?), and Courage (above), Total defeat of the Austrian army near Prague, and Prague besieged, the 6th of May, 1757 (below), Victory of Frederick the Great (in shield), Elbe (and the) Vltava (river in the Czech Republic) (to right of Bohemia)

There is way too much info to look over and pick out what to include here (and its late), so I'm including a few links. Hope you all don't mind :)

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_II_of_Prussia

Prussia: https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussia

And the Battle of Prague:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Prague_(1757)

But I will include this cool-looking portrait of him (makes me kind of want myself painted in a similar light. That's not self-centered, is it? :D).

[​IMG]

And the map of course:

[​IMG]

If you haven't clicked elsewhere out of boredom by this point, I thank you for sticking around and I hope you have enjoyed the medal and the thread, even if my newest acquisition is a little younger than what you are used to seeing.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Great medal and a wonderful writeup, thanks.

ValiantKnight likes this.
  4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sweet => great eye appeal on your new addition (congrats, Jango)

... both, the obverse and the kick-arse reverse are super cool

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  5. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Great write up and medal. Very cool you posted it on the anniversery.

I enjoyed playing Rome Total War.

John

6. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I always LOVE your write-ups and that is such a cool coin!!! It has so much eye-appeal with an enormous amount of high artistry. Was that wonderful BIG bronze medal struck in the 18th century or later as a commemorative?

7. ValiantKnight

From the little info I found online, nothing indicated this was minted later, so safe to say its from 1757?

Thanks all for the comments.

8. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Here is my Friedrich II Der Grosse AV Dukat 1745 EGN Berlin Mint 3.48g/21mm

One of the greatest military leaders in history. He took on the combined might of the French, Austrian-Hungarian/Russian Empires in two wars and won! In the "Seven Years War" he faced three female opponents.....Czarina Elizabeth of Russia/ Maria Theresia of Austria/ Madame de Pompadour of France (she controlled Louis XV) 1239980l.jpg

Pishpash, chrsmat71, Aidan_() and 4 others like this.
  9. ValiantKnight

I did not know there were gold coins made of Frederick. Thanks for sharing!

10. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Yes, many gold coin types were struck....here is another one i have in my collection. Really tough to get in perfect quality!

Friedrichs d'or 1777-A Berlin 6.67g 25mm 1240023l.jpg

Pishpash, chrsmat71, Aidan_() and 6 others like this.
  11. ValiantKnight

Another great coin Panzer!

panzerman likes this.
  12. ValiantKnight

@Mikey Zee Found some new info. Did another Google search, and there is a book called the Account of the institution and progress of the Society of the Antiquaries of Scotland. Part 3, published in 1831, and one of these Battle of Prague medals was part of a donation to the Society in 1785. This record is on page 48 of the book. I think this basically confirms that my medal really is from 1757 :shame:

https://books.google.com/books?id=y19dAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA48&lpg=PA48&dq=1757 battle of prague medal&source=bl&ots=xYWmFzGdVz&sig=qaAnhEmcmXF8b_sr-CGisCrL7lo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjBuprS_svMAhUO8mMKHX8KCyY4ChDoAQhFMAs#v=onepage&q=1757 battle of prague medal&f=false

(the medal itself is mentioned right at the bottom of the page)

Mikey Zee likes this.
  13. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that's a lovely medal VK...and another nice write up!

i dig early modern coins up to about the mid 1800's when my interest begins to decline. i don't have much from right around your medals time period, here's a russian "denga" that is pretty close. as bad as this looks, it's actually a pretty good one.

[​IMG]

14. ValiantKnight

I actually have one of these as well, given to me as a gift. The double-headed eagle and the fact its from the 18th cent. is what I like about it. I recently found out that it caught some bronze disease unfortunately so I'll be treating it soon.

I can't help but wonder about my medal, though, specifically where it was minted, who these medals were for, and the mintage. I'm guessing perhaps it would have been issued to Prussian veterans of the battle. If each survivor received one medal that would mean that around 51,700 of my medal would have been minted. Its a scarce type not terribly rare, but this still seems a bit high to me. Or maybe these were issued to the nobility and/or government officials? This is all speculation on my part so unfortunately I really don't know. Perhaps the guys in the World forum might be able to answer my questions?

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

16. ValiantKnight

Draft saved Draft deleted