Frederick II King of Sicily

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by PMONNEY, Jan 6, 2018.

1. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

Frederick II, 1194–1250, Holy Roman emperor (1220–50) and German king (1212–20), king of Sicily(1197–1250), and king of Jerusalem (1229–50).

This coin:. FREDERICK II 1198-1250. Crowned bust l. . "+ F IPERATOR BI" Rev.: Cross potent, three pellets in two qurters / "+ IERL’ SICIL RE",Mint: Messina, 1228, Denaro, .(0.87gr,/19mm, 8h.) Ref.:MEC 545; Spahr 113; MIR 93; D’Andrea 121),

Anecdote: during WW II, the German occupying forces were about to blow out an Italian museum containing historical items having belonged to Frederick II, the Italians implored: -please do not demolish this building which concerns your German king...and the building was spared !
    View attachment 723147 upload_2018-1-6_17-49-8.png

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

billon denaro, issued 1225 (Messina). obv: IRL SICIL REX rev: F.IPERATOR
    Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 2.34.01 PM.jpg

My notes:
    Frederick II was one of the most powerful Holy Roman Emperors of the Middle Ages and head of the House of Hohenstaufen. His political and cultural ambitions, based in Sicily and stretching through Italy to Germany, and even to Jerusalem, were enormous; however, his enemies, especially the popes, prevailed, and his dynasty collapsed soon after his death. Frederick established in Sicily and southern Italy something very much like a modern, centrally governed kingdom with an efficient bureaucracy.

He was crowned Holy Roman Emperor by the Pope in 1220. This coin was issued just after he acquired the kingship of Jerusalem by means of a marriage with Princess Isabella (and forcing his father in law out of the position.)

4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I really need to get one of those! Great coins.

5. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Great coins @PMONNEY and @Severus Alexander I would love to get a coin of Frederick II. A couple anecdotes about him that I remember are that he spoke 6 languages and was excommunicated 4 times. He was called stupor mundi, latin for "wonder of the world." His gold coins also brought back Roman style busts.
    434px-Frederick_II_and_eagle.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted