Frauds and fakes??

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mikey Zee, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Looks pretty fake to me.

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Yeesh! Fake.

5. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

Strange sales item! I would never pay anything for a fake looking, especially when there is no mention of being genuine.

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

Fake:facepalm:,it those pain in my eyes

swamp yankee and Alegandron like this.
  7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Fake enough that I can tell

swamp yankee likes this.
  8. Mikey Zee

I felt the same way and even sent a message to the seller...he responded with several return messages identifying the coin as a rare Nigrinianus and suggested I google it for confirmation. Not once did he state it was a replica or reproduction.

Of course, there were few bare-headed examples on acsearch---most were radiates---and even one fake that was sold for a similar price as this one, but identified as such. He even has offered another vaguely described type with the same 'soft' appearance.

It still amazes me that such blatant fakes are presented as genuine coins, especially those of a scarce Emperor and rare in all types. This seller has a 100% rating, but it appears that was the result of selling items other than ancient coins. Perhaps he has gotten in over his head or he has simply gotten greedy....

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This seller has two kinds of ancients. The very rough coins shown with out of focus photos may be genuine but are worthless. The ones with sharper photos are fakes. The highlight to me is the Macedonian tetradrachm countermarked 1986. I wonder what the significance of that date is?

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

It really frustrates me that people are this way. I am not being naive, I get that some people are evil. But, I really dislike it when someone has APPROACHED this seller, explained the problem, and they just elude with their slippery answers. Life is way too short to cheat for $56.00. I know that could be almost 20 meals for some people, but this person is sophisticated enough to run an eBay business... If it were an HONEST mistake, that can be understood. This does not look like it. I just don't get these people.

swamp yankee likes this.
  11. Mikey Zee

That makes two of us AL

I didn't notice that one Doug---perhaps, like beer, it's the 'born on date'?? LOL

Kentucky and Alegandron like this.
  12. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Back then it was common for reproductions to have the year of manufacture imprinted onto them. Check out the message on the attached pictures of a tile which attests to this practice. I suppose this was seen as more fashionable than putting "copy" on objects back then, although this would have helped to avoid confusion.

Attached Files:

Mikey Zee likes this.
  13. hoth2

hoth2 Well-Known Member

Well I'm the dummy that won the Macedonian 1986 auction. Turns out I'm not as smart as I thought. I was inspired by JA's bad pic gambles thread, which is still one of my favorite threads on this board. After I won I noticed the seller had a second coin of the same type with visible casting bubbles and emailed about cancelling the order. It's only been a few hours but no reply yet..

Correction: different coin. The auction was this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ancient-Gre...Good-detail-/221865826466?hash=item33a83bd8a2

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The tetradrachm has not closed yet. Some one will buy it figuring that a 1% chance of getting a $500 coin for $5 makes sense and they will sell it to someone one twice as foolish for $10. There is not a 1% chance of the thing being real but there seems no end to people willing to throw money away. Just as a matter of record, buying ancient coins from a seller who has sharp photos of stamps and fuzzy pictures of round things that might be coins is not the way to build a collection.

People who cheat beginners are in the business for the short haul. They do not plan on cheating the same people over and over but they do know there will be a new set of customers born every minute so there is no problem. There are dealers who have sold me coins with some regularity for decades. Either they sell good coins or I am a very slow learner.

Mikey Zee and red_spork like this.
  15. hoth2

hoth2 Well-Known Member

Yeah I didn't even look at his other auctions. Live and learn, I suppose.

16. hoth2

hoth2 Well-Known Member

He said it's definitely an ancient coin but if I want to cancel just don't pay, which I'm taking him up on.

17. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Yeah, just don't pay. If he tries to rate you as a buyer you can protest to Ebay. More likely you will not hear another word. He doesn't want to be identified as a fake seller.

hoth2, Mikey Zee and Alegandron like this.
  18. KIWITI

KIWITI Well-Known Member

I know a guy who kept buying fake stuff as original (due to ignorance mainly) for years...-in fact, once I met the guy who sold him fakes: coins, glassware, papirus, you name it. He even bought "a glass from the Titanic" (imagine that!)-.
    Well, this guy with all this fake-filled collection tried to sell an authentic dinosaur bone he got on the black market and was detained by INTERPOL, since it is against the law here. And as they were no coin experts whatsoever at the time of his detention, they took ALL his collection as evidence!

Point is: if the buyer keeps buying but doesn´t care to learn, he will confidently keep buying anything to anyone. Even for years.

Alegandron and Mikey Zee like this.
  19. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wow...perhaps he lived in the heart of Amsterdam's Coffee Shop district and was stuck in LA-LA Land!

KIWITI likes this.
  20. monetarium

monetarium Member

It almost look that they are made of brass!

21. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

As the population increases the % of jerks will rise in proportion or faster.I agree it's a real lowlife way to be but this is the times we live in. I just bought a "no cents nickle" so it's an old story......

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted