Franklin's - in Mint Sets, with White Corrosion

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by USS656, Dec 8, 2019.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Huh. I mean, xylene isn't exactly health food, but it's not as bad as benzene, or even gasoline.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I agree - huh ? Xylene is used by hundreds if not thousands of people every single day - with no to minimal precautions taken. Painters use the stuff by the gallon cleaning brushes, spray guns, all kinds of painting equipment. And there are dozens of other trades that use it all the time.

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Since the ammonia seems to have some affect, (base?)
    does that mean an acid dip will not?
    I am not suggesting putting all of these different solvents on the same coin.
    (Acid dip) As these others have already been used:
    acetone, xylene, ammonia. Continued use of different solvents and I think eventually something may harm the surface.

I bet V Kurt Bellman might have some magic elixir for this splotch.

5. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

I think he is just afraid I will have my face a few inches away from it as I Am trying to work off the crud with a q-tip in an unventilated area

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Cover your nose and mouth with a bandana. It will stop some of the fumes.
    Or a painters mask.
    Any new photos?

7. USS656

tonight, didn't get a chance before leaving for work.

8. -jeffB

No, it won't. Not a bit. It won't even slow them down. We're talking about individual molecules, not dust particles or droplets.

People who have to work with stuff like this a lot are supposed to wear respirators with cartridges that actually do absorb the bad stuff. Doing it for a few hours as a hobby project, I wouldn't bother. You get more exposure to the harmful stuff filling your car's tank -- and we won't even talk about running a two-cycle lawn mower or leaf-blower engine.

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Or working in a cadaver room for an hour. Semester is OVER! Yea!!

Kentucky likes this.
  10. -jeffB

Time for some harsh cleaning, eh?

11. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

@USS656 - Let 'er rip! :woot: (the reverse is beautiful, just polish the obverse)
    polish-1 (1).gif
    Or, you could sell it on the Bay as a 'monster milk spot' coin - simpletons love 'monster' coins and will pay a premium for the monstrosities - you'll be able to recoup your chemicals' cost and have some $$ left over :D

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  12. desertgem

The bag zippers are the worse.

13. -jeffB

:yack:

14. -jeffB

Our good friends at edynamicmarketing somehow escaped my ignore list, and I've been seeing a steady stream of their "MONSTER TONED" victims. I feel like messaging them, "Hey, stop leaving perfectly nice coins lying around where the monsters mark their territory!"

MIGuy and juris klavins like this.
  15. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Lol - nothing against naturally toned silver coins - I just dislike that 'monster' sales hype :yack:

16. USS656

continuing to thin after 24 hours, rinsed in distilled, then ammonia, worked it over with Q-tip dipped in fresh ammonia, rinsed in ammonia, and back into fresh dose of ammonia.

upload_2019-12-19_18-7-19.png
    upload_2019-12-19_18-7-59.png

-jeffB likes this.
  17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I think Ben needs a dermatologist!

18. -jeffB

I think we're talking makeup artist at this point.

Kentucky likes this.
  19. desertgem

I think we are talking bullion at this point.

20. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Franklin's what? That is possessive, not plural.

21. USS656

I had no illusions from the start that I could only hope to make this coin into a better looking piece of bullion. Endless days of soak, rinse, repeat will not undue the harm caused by the reaction the mystery substance had to the silver. Then there is nothing to say that it will not return over time.

Draft saved Draft deleted