Franklin saves from the junk pile

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Joe Campbell, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Joe Campbell

Joe Campbell Well-Known Member

Pulled these two 1954-S Franklin's from the junk silver bucket. Now I'd have a better shot at brain surgery than accurately grading a Franklin but they both look AU+ to me. Not big dollar coins but for 4% over melt I feel pretty good. Thanks for looking. IMG_4844.JPG IMG_4846.JPG IMG_4847.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

NIce! I would have had a hard time resisting those too.

TonkawaBill and Spark1951 like this.
  4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

S-Mints. Nice buys.

TonkawaBill likes this.
  5. silver person

silver person New Member

Junk Silver Bucket ??

6. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Joe, those are nice saves, the left one looks MS.

Melt is $9.24, plus 4% over is .37= $9.61...sounds right. But a ‘54-S/MS60 lists for $18.50 and FBL even better at $22. Very good snag. And the other looks better than melt value too...imo...Spark

TonkawaBill likes this.
  7. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Local Coin Stores (LCS) have junk silver trays and buckets for customers to go through. Go to yours and check it out.
    ...Spark

btw...Welcome to Coin Talk.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I would have asked to see more. Lol A great buy and wonderful additions to your collection.

TonkawaBill likes this.
  9. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Excellent find.

TonkawaBill likes this.
  10. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Way to go, great find. Their definitely keeps, way above melt value. Thanks for posting them.

TonkawaBill and capthank like this.
  11. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

In my small Burg, we don't have coin shops. Even in the larger city next to us, the ones that are there don't look too inviting. Congrats on your snag.

capthank likes this.
  12. Joe Campbell

I’ve said many times, the junk bucket is my favorite place to shop.

13. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

The 54-S is a sleeper IMHO. There was an article in a recent Coins Magazine to that effect. With a little less than 5M minted, it's worth more than melt. You did well.

TonkawaBill likes this.
  14. Joe Campbell

That’s why I snagged them. There were quite a few other ‘60-63 that were similar grade but I really view those as melt. The ‘54-S is a better date within the series, if there really is such a thing.

manny9655 likes this.
  15. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

I have a complete circulated Franklin collection. The toughest for me to find was the 1953-S. I had more problems finding one of those in decent condition than I did with the 1953-P and the 1955-P even though the latter two had much lower mintages. You were lucky to find two nice examples of the 54-S. Not bad for a little bit of cherry picking.

TonkawaBill likes this.
  16. Joe Campbell

I also have a complete set of Franklins from the melt bucket.

manny9655 and TonkawaBill like this.
  17. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

Hard to go wrong with those coins. I live in a small town with no coin shops within about a 2-hour drive so I never get bargains like that. Of course, since Covid19 I don't travel anywhere other than to physicians and the grocery store. I bought a new car in January 2020 and still haven't put 1,000 miles on it. I'm supposed to get my first vaccination shot at the end of this month. Wish me luck in avoiding the disease until then.

18. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

yea i would have pulled them to. great find!!

19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I grew up searching the junk piles. I was paying 2X to 3X face value for nice AU and better silver coins. Had a lot of fun filling albums. Today those coins have toned nicely to create nice matching sets. I bought hundreds of AU Walkers for $1.50 each.

manny9655 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted