Franklin Mint States of The Union 50 24kt Gold Plate on Sterling

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Chris Winkler, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Chris Winkler

Chris Winkler Well-Known Member

My heart goes out to the people who buy this stuff, its pushed everywhere these days, and several are selling their gold plated silver for $1700.00!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373270217962?hash=item56e8a384ea:g:ByIAAOSwKnlfhMRC

Does anyone know what the cost is to acquire this magnificent collection of the finest gold plated coins, as I have to believe its over time so they can squeeze as much money out of the clam as possible. s-l1600.jpg

Eric the Red and capthank like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

LOL..........the fallen of ineptitude.

4. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

I have to say, although not in the title....the use of the word coins in the description could get him in trouble. All definitions of the word coins I have seen includes that they are used as monetary units.
    At first I thought that they were gold plated state quarters....until I looked at the pictures.
    Franklin mint has been churning out overpriced crap for ages, and people have been buying the overpriced crap for ages too.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Unless I can buy that entire set with the wooden box for $25 I’m not interested.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  6. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

7. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

The father of a friend of mine had tons of Franklin Mint and other junk. When the father dies the friend asked me if I was interested. No. He never could sell the stuff. He couldn't understand why stuff that looked like US coins wasn't worth anything.

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

9. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

But, they're "Guaranteed to be Authentic". :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Genuine-authentic, simulated-imitation, coin-colored rounds. What is not to like?

MIGuy, Eric the Red and Chris Winkler like this.
  11. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

From the 1970s. Each is 500 grains sterling silver with 24k gold plating.

I'm not doing the math but if this is true, then isn't this like 52-54 Oz of silver and something like $1400 silver melt?

I'm thinking if it was bought in the 1970s at silver and gold prices, even with the franklin mint mark up, and sold now or either time silver approached $50 that whoever bought it in the 70s had a win off it.

Which isn't the case with most Franklin mint offerings.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

"Some of the coins have some minor discoloration in areas. I flipped three coins over and did not notice any discoloration on those three. Some may have them but I did not want to touch all the coins by flipping them over. Some of the sides of the coins have some discoloration from age."

Discoloration on 24KT gold plate? How many microns "thin" is the plating? One? Two?

13. John Burgess

typical gold plating is 0.5 microns, I think you give them too much credit:woot:lol

MIGuy likes this.
  14. cpm9ball

I was quoting the listing. I was giving them credit for one or two microns. I thought I was being generous.

CamaroDMD likes this.
  15. John Burgess

"Hey now, don't get too generous, microns ain't cheap!"

hahaha, fiber optic installation joke. nevermind.

16. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

No interest in Franklin Mint stuff.

17. hogwash

hogwash Member

This is my third attempt to post on this thread. I will wait to see if the first two get posted. Apparently I was not logged in on the first two. My posts largely take issue with the negative attitude that some have toward the Franklin Mint, especially concerning the coins and medals it produced in the 1970's.

Mac McDonald likes this.
  18. Chris Winkler

Chris Winkler Well-Known Member

Very clever marketing to the masses: "struck in 24KT Gold on Sterling Silver"

19. John Burgess

Take issue all you want, the BBB gives them an F rating for a reason. maybe they were better 50+ years ago, but The Franklin Mint of today is a joke, preying on the uninformed in newspapers to make a buck.

20. cpm9ball

We are not discussing coins that the Franklin Mint made for other countries. Everything else they made was overpriced junk that never appreciated in value, and that includes medals, knives, figurines, plates, etc., etc., etc.!

John Burgess likes this.
  21. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The Franklin mint has decent items. They also have one of the best marketing departments I’ve ever seen. They seem to be able to come up with and produce what people are interested in. In these areas they are very good.

Now comes the problem. The after market. Whatever The Franklin Mint comes up with, whatever they charge for those items, in the after market they are almost worthless. Take the enameled state quarters. They took mint quarters and enameled them. They look very nice but to collectors it’s nothing but damage to the coin. They charged about $10.00 per coin.

Just the states alone is $500.00 but add in the case to display them and the US Territories and one has spent almost $600.00 on them. To a collector they are only worth a quarter each. That’s the problem. Good ideas, nice products and no secondary market. You get poorer and the Franklin Mint gets richer.

manny9655, MIGuy and John Burgess like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted