Franklin Mint coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by joecoincollect, May 1, 2016.

1. onecenter

onecenter Member

eBay is your friend. You will find prices realized over the last 90 days worldwide right online. Search by country and date, proof sets and uncirculated sets.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Are you sure its not 1983? Something doesn't sound quite right.

4. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

What a coin is worth is strictly based on supply and demand. Even if only 50-100 of a coin are struck, if there are only 25 collectors, the coin is essentially worthless except as an oddity. Like all Mint "Special Coins" from around the world that have overrun the markets since the 70's and 80's (but even worse now), they were overpriced to start with and worth even less now. Coins struck by Canada's Royal Canadian Mint, which spews out coins like a gushing dam, can be bought on the secondary market for 60% or less of the issue price on the secondary market 3-4 years after issue.

5. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Which is a decent point. However, recent sales records of sets such as the Barbados, Belize, Cayman Isl., Jamaica, Panama, Papua, Solomon, and Trinidad of the 1983-85 vintage refute that with many now bringing not just in excess of issue price but many multiples of them.
    If you look at the Richard Stuart sale of Panama coins at NGC a year ago, the 1982 uncirculated 100 Balboas went for $3,600

6. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

I have just about all of those in Proof set from the early 1970s, but none from the 1980s. Not as low mintage as the 80s, but still low and contain Silver coins.

7. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Yes, I like all of them and the silver content certainly a bonus. I also like the specimen sets which, except for the early ones have no silver. The later ones are quite hard to find which makes them fun but many of the designs captured on the earlier ones are quite beautiful as well.

8. Annes

Annes New Member

I have several some round and some octogen shape in a dark blue/black cardboard back says 1982 I don't even know what to look up can you help please

9. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Hi Annes,
    Well, maybe a picture would help - a lot - as I can only guess. You may have Malta 50c pieces in octagonal shape but the sets came in red holders. Send more information, either PM or post it here.

There are a few gold coins that the FM issued that were both octagonal and released in blue packing/sealed sets.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted