Franklin half grading

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Nick A, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Nick A

Nick A New Member

Picked this and one other up today because it looked nice and price was right.The bell lines looked fairly well defined, which is part of what attracted me. Now to educate myself a bit, trying to grade it. I'm thinking it might be a low MS mainly because of marks on the obverse. image.jpeg image.jpeg

Skyman and McBlzr like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Sure looks MS and a 65 at the least. However photos can lie.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood @Nick A !

Since you are trying to learn, do you think this would grade FBL by PCGS? NGC? Why or why not?

Chris

Insider likes this.
  5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'll go with MS-63. Nice looking coin.

6. Nick A

Nick A New Member

Thanks, been a lurker for a while off and on. I'm sure I don't have the expertise in Franklins or with the TPGs to tell the difference between NGC and PCGS (I think you're hinting that one might be stricter than the other).

I don't think it would make FBL. The thing I'm seeing here is that marks, what I would call contact marks, impact the FBL...it's not only the dies/strike. This coin has decently struck bell lines to the naked eye and compared to other coins it stood out as being better but, when magnified and depending on the angle, there seem to be two spots in the upper row of lines that are weaker, as well as a little gash on the left side that might knock it out. The lower set of lines seem decent, but on the very far left there's a hit on the end of the middle line that probably breaks it up too much. I've taken a look at the FBL guide on the franklinlover and CAC website as my references, and after that...heck if I know. Probably not worth the investment on this coin to find out - instead an interesting study. I've attached two more photos, the second photo is too washed out to really see anything.

For overall grade, I think the coin has too many contact marks (specifically scrapes on cheek, shoulder and middle of bell) to make a 65. I've looked at 65's online and overall they seem to have much "cleaner" surfaces.

My guess is that it maybe could be a 61 or 62 and probably just a decent strike rather than FBL. But perhaps I'm being too strict?

I dug out a 1950-D Franklin that I bought awhile ago, it's not a bright white coin and has some hazy light iridescent toning (a look I often attribute generally as being typical of the 40s and 50s commemorative halves) but by comparison, it has much better bell lines under magnification. I think the toning makes that coin look mushy overall. I may have to get some pictures of that one and post them, as it has fewer contact marks and the bell lines are decent, it just doesn't pop, but I had picked it out as a nice coin. Maybe that one is actually the better coin of the two.

IMG_0258.JPG IMG_0257.JPG

Skyman likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

I think you did a pretty good job of assessing the bell lines. I don't think that it would get an "FBL" from, either, NGC or PCGS.

Yes, there is a difference between the PCGS and NGC attributions. To get the "FBL" from PCGS requires only the bottom set to be intact. NGC is tougher, requiring both sets to be intact.

Chris

8. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I'm very interested in what members think about this situation? In the past both sets of lines were necessary on the bell and some Franklin "purists" even insisted that the wisp of hair on the obverse be distinct. :facepalm: While that would indicate a truly well struck Franklin, I could never understand what that had to do with the lines on the coin's reverse.:bucktooth: I believe the "purists" have lost this battle.

When things seemed settled, PCGS had to come along and screw with the standard to be able to grade more FBL coins. What say you? Just decided - New Poll.

9. cpm9ball

What do you expect? PCGS doesn't want to fall behind NGC. I'm surprised they don't have an employment policy that requires everyone to own only PCGS slabs.

Chris

10. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

One thing to be aware of is that the master Franklin die was produced in 1948. During the period 1948 - 1959 the dies produced from this master die showed less and less detail. Hence if you look at well struck 1948 and 1958 Franklins you'll see much less detail on the 1958. In 1960 the master die was recut. You will find the 1960 - 1963 Franklins tend to have much sharper detail than Franklins of the latter 1950's, EXCEPT FOR the lower set of bell lines.

Also, it has been my experience with regards to grading FBL, a nick or two bisecting the lines is more likely to be ignored if the coin is of relatively low valuation, or dates where FBL is a common occurrence. For example, you will find that FBL on a 1953-S has to be just about perfect, while a 1958-D Franklin in, say MS65, with the exact same knicks or dings on the lines will generally get the FBL.

ldhair likes this.
  11. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted