Franklin Half Album question

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Paul_62, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Paul_62

Paul_62 Just takin' it one day at a time

I bought an older Whitman Franklin half album off of e-bay the other day and would like to replace the plastic windows inserts (is that what you call them?). Does anybody know where I would get them? I don't even know how to describe them to search for them...

I'm beginning to wonder if I should just consider buying another album, a new one perhaps, to put some of my Franklins in it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

They are called acetate slides typically but they are not easy to come by. I found a thread on another forum that indicated if you are persistent, Whitman will send them to you just to get you to stop complaining.

Dansco plastic slide inserts

Others indicated that they went to a hobby/craft shop, bought an acetate sheet and made their own.

4. Paul_62

hmmm, good to know. Thanks!

5. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

A "craft" chain like Michael's should have acetate sheets. Take a sample with you, and cut new strips on a paper cutter.

6. Ed Sims

Ed Sims Well-Known Member

Be sure they don't have PVC in them.

7. doug444

Good point, and it might be hard to find out, since acetate is a "commodity" likely to come from anywhere.

8. doug444

Before you pitch them, you might polish the "old" acetate strips with toothpaste, and see if that cures the problem, which you haven't actually specified. If they're cloudy or scratched, toothpaste might help; if they're cracked, there's no cure.

Paul_62 likes this.
  9. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

You may want to try the coin wizzard. You can't beat the wiz!

10. Paul_62

I contacted Whitman about them and of course they said the album was discontinued many years ago but the person that emailed me back said if I gave her the measurements she'd try to find a comparable slide. I emailed back with the measurements, mailing address, and mentioned that the album has 3 pages, 12 slides.

That was the end of last month, I just got them in the mail today. Now that's service - I'm impressed. Oh yeah, and they were gratis -- no charge... :happy:

whitman slides.jpg

Burnside_Q and McBlzr like this.
  11. Ed Sims

Ed Sims Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted