Franklin error or not?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by DavidinCA, Jul 24, 2015.

1. DavidinCA

DavidinCA New Member

I was interested in this 1950 Franklin PCGS MS65FBL CAC certified coin listing for low end of the PCGS price of about $195 until I noticed the following issue the word "of" in United States of America. Does this detract value from it or add to it?

Franklin.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Its not doubled and it looks like a die crack. It may add some value to the piece, but, not as much as that presumed green sticker on the slab.

Sometimes I guess its the picture or I just don't understand grading. I'm sure its the latter. I need to be learned.

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It looks like damage. Maybe that is why PCGS chose to give it a 65.

Chris

swamp yankee likes this.
  5. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Agree with Chris, it's a hit. It's not in a prime focal area so it's not that distracting, if the rest of the coin is all that. It's up to the individual.

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not a die crack. Possible damage. Possibly a die filled with oil and dirt. Difficult to say without seeing the coin. No photo of the front but based on the reverse, I'd pass. I don't care for the dark toning. I'm working on a set of MS-64 or better PCGS FBL Natural Brite White Franklins. Only a few more to go.

7. 05Wildcats

05Wildcats Well-Known Member

Have you found a 1953S with Full Bell Lines? They are harder to find and the price is higher.

swamp yankee likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Not yet, but I keep looking. It may take years but I'll find it and it will be worth the wait. And yes, it will be pricy but nowhere in the range of what I have paid for other coins in the past.

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Knowing that NGC is stricter on the FBL attribution, have any of your PCGS FBL's been crossovers?

Chris

10. Collecting Nut

All were purchased as PCGS FBL's MS-64 or higher. If it crossed, I'm not aware of it. Been working on this set for 5 plus years now.

11. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I can't tell if whatever's going on in the "o" is raised or incuse. If it's raised, it's a die crack; otherwise it's just a ding.

Draft saved Draft deleted