Frankish Tremissis

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Horsa, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Horsa

Horsa New Member

merovingian.png

Merovingian, Orleans, circa 620-640 AD. AV Tremissis 1.23g, Angiulfus moneyer. Obverse a diademed head, reverse a cross set on globe.

The story of the Franks is an epic tale encompassing the barbarian migrations and fall of the Empire and leading eventually to the foundations of medieval Europe.
    The Merovingian Franks were followed by the Carolingian Franks which started with the coronation of Charlemagne.

This simple but evocative tremissis captures barbarian art mixing with Christian symbology. Fascinating on many levels.

A small hoard of Merovingian gold was found at Sutton Hoo indicating trade with the Anglo-Saxons and helping to date the burial. Dating of Sutton Hoos is interpreted to be early 7th century (possibly King Raedwald) which is contemporaneous with these coins, though I do not think this type was found in the ship burial.

Cheers! Horsa

FitzNigel, stevex6, chrsmat71 and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

4. Horsa

Horsa New Member

Thats a new one for me and a fascinating idea. I shall give the tremissis the oblique viewing analysis tonight.

Apologies I managed to post the photo of the reverse upside down so clearly oblqiue viewing will be a quantum leap for me.

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very interesting. Thanks for showing it. Now I will have to keep my eyes open for one of these.

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very cool gold.

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for sharing a marvelous little coin.

8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that's a great little coin...welcome!

9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, Horsa => what a simple, yet absolutely gorgeous lil' coin!! (congrats!!)

Oh, and "welcome" ...

yup, "cheers"
    :)

Sadly, I don't yet have any gold coins in my collection, but I do have a Carolingian Denar (does that allow me to join your show?)

CAROLINGIANS. Charles le Chauve (the Bald). As Charles II, King of West Francia, AR Denar
    840-877 AD
    Diameter: 20 mm
    Weight: 1.56 grams
    Obverse: Without mint signature (Orléans). + CΛRLVS REX FR, cross pattée with pellet in each quarter
    Reverse: XPISTIΛNΛ RELIGIO, temple
    Reference: Coupland, Early group D, pl. 23, 43-7; M&G 1159; MEC 1, 846-9

Carolingians a.jpg Carolingians b.jpg

Eng likes this.
  10. Horsa

Horsa New Member

That is a fantastic coin Stevex6. Well centered and clear details. I approve indeed! Do you have any historical details for this coin - what the symbology is, the numerals etc. Was Charles really bald. Presumably West Francis is roughly modern France and East France is roughly Germany??

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Eng likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted