Frank S Robinson thread

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by tartanhill, May 28, 2021.

1. tartanhill

tartanhill Well-Known Member

So what happened to the Frank S Robinson thread?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Obviously, it was taken down by the staff. Wise people need to let it go.

4. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

What was wrong with it?

tartanhill likes this.
  5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

It got political.

6. tartanhill

Yes, if some red line was crossed, it would be good to know what it was so that it doesn't happen again.

7. tartanhill

So remove the political posts. I felt the thread had merit.

Volodya and furryfrog02 like this.
  8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

It did have merit. There are certain members who tend to troll and make things political. Said member(s) don't bring much, if anything, to the table on this forum besides to stir the pot. I've already put them on my very short ignore list and would wish they would just fade into the ether.

9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

IMHO it was careening out of control with little positive that could have come out of it. Probably a good idea to remove it.

10. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

There are so many social networking and other sites on the web which cater for such discussions, it's not like people have nowhere to vent. A coin forum just is not the place for it. It is incredible the amount of posts which are started in good faith and a few posts later it becomes a taboo thread or endless he said, she said blah blah blah personal attacks

The Trachy Enjoyer, 1stSgt22 and Mat like this.
  11. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I think they could easily have deleted everything beginning with the first post by you-know-who, who never comes here to post about ancient coins, but only to troll. He introduced politics by mentioning certain specific names, and was deliberately provocative by prospectively denigrating anyone who might disagree with him. Up to that point, I don't think there was anything wrong with the thread.

robinjojo, Volodya, tibor and 2 others like this.
  12. furryfrog02

Yup. He is on my ignore list for that reason. Nothing constructive to say.

jb_depew and DonnaML like this.
  13. kirispupis

kirispupis Well-Known Member

I agree. Personally, I didn't get involved in the political side of the discussion, but had several posts involving the history and intentions of the coin. It is a shame to lose them.

I'm on several other wildlife forums, and there's a certain substratum of the populace that likes to turn everything political in order to prevent rational discussions of relevant topics. I'd prefer to see those individual posts removed and the posters banned on repeat transgressions.

14. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I'm a mod on a space-related forum. Generally folks behave themselves, but there are times when things run off the rails. Space exploration discussions tend to become political when things like budgets for NASA are discussed. Also, the astrophysics subforum can generate heated discussions about arcane theories, pseudoscience, and metaphysical posts. Folks are warned but for repeated transgressions I wield the ban-hammer.

15. kirispupis

kirispupis Well-Known Member

But then naturally the Thasos stater truly represents an alien (nowadays mistaken for a satyr) carrying off an ancient thracian for enlightenment on the true cosmos. This is demonstrated by the "nymph" not protesting in early versions of the coin. What we term ithyphallic is probably a laser gun or some other alien artifact. Clearly the aliens reached our planet through wormholes similar to those speculated by Kip Thorne.

Sadly, it's speculated that these same aliens are capable of analyzing our Internet chatter, and no longer believe there's intelligent life on our planet.

16. Ricardo123

Ricardo123 Well-Known Member

Weirdly i was reading the page 2 of the thread and suddenly I could not go to page 3 and then all vanished. Anyway the troll member we are talking about is a well known member of the numismatic world. But since the last year many times extremist point of view about politic. I think very sad from a man with this level of knowledge.

17. furryfrog02

I don't know said member outside of this forum. From what I've seen here though, especially over the last year, I am not impressed. Perhaps he should stick to coins and keep his mouth shut regarding other things.
    Reminds me of this meme:
    [​IMG]

18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

:D

I like Dogs...

[​IMG]
    ROMAN Republic,
    Aes Grave Issue,
    Æ Quadrans, 59.82g
    269-242 BCE
    Mint of Rome Anonymous issue
    Obv: dog walking left, three pellets below
    Rev six-spoked wheel, three pellets between
    Ref: Cr 26/6a; Thurlow-Vecchi 34
    Comments Dark green patina, fine.
    Ex: from the David Sellwood Collection
    Ex: Baldwin

19. furryfrog02

I do too! I don't have a single coin with a dog on it though.

Alegandron likes this.
  20. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Oddly, for a forum dedicated to numismatic history, CT's ancient section can be a haven for pseudoscience, parapsychology, and pseudohistory. You would think rational, historically minded folks would avoid such topics!

Aleph, Clavdivs, Orfew and 1 other person like this.
  21. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

But hey, UFO's, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted