France Type Set - 1st year

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Dave M, Feb 25, 2015.

1. krispy

krispy krispy

Very nice! What does your grade out at Dave? 63? 64? They're kind of rare in high grades.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Thanks Chris, that one's a PCGS MS65.

4. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

And every bit a 65 IMO! VERY nice coin! :D

Dave M likes this.
  5. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

6. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Some new ones, again all first year releases.

10c Napoleon tete nue, 1852 SPL63
    France 1852A 10c Napoleon nue sm.jpg

5c Lindauer 1920, SPL63. This one has some verdigris under the 'R' - curious as to whether something can be used to remove it safely. It is raw. France 1920 5c Lindauer sm.jpg

20C Etat Francais wartime issue in zinc, 1941, MS65. I really love the grain in this. France 1941 20c Etat Francais sm.jpg

5f Bazor, 1933 MS64 France 1933 5f Bazor sm.jpg

jlblonde, jello, brg5658 and 4 others like this.
  7. krispy

krispy krispy

Love these shots and have always admired the holed coinage as well as the numerous privy marks the French used.

Dave M likes this.
  8. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Thanks Chris. There are a bunch of essays of the Lindauer holed coins that are really fun to see. I have none of them, and they are not cheap, but it would make for a really nifty little set.

I have a killer coin due in from the HA auction... you will like it :)

9. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

That Napoleon piece is a killer Dave. :)

Dave M likes this.
  10. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Thanks much!

11. krispy

krispy krispy

By essays, do you mean, Essai? As in pattern coins? The French did a lot of pattern coins, of their own and for many other nations' coins as well, especially in the era of coins you have in this thread.

12. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Yes. I may be getting my numismatic terms bungled. In the paper biz, english "essay" = french "essai". I have not incorporated the word "pattern" into my vocabulary yet, but I think its the same thing.

Here's an example of the ones I was referring to.

13. krispy

krispy krispy

I'm actually often surprised at how, in the greater world of coins, many pattern pieces are not that expensive given what seems like a rarity due to numbers available, minted and circulating among collectors.

14. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Here's one I picked up from the last HA auction. 100F Gold Mercury, engraved by Lucien Bazor. It was minted for just two years 1935-36, and never released. Most were melted. This is in a NGC MS65 holder.

France 1935 100f Bazor sm.jpg

J.A.K. and brg5658 like this.
  15. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

These are all wonderful, Dave. As a group, French coinage is among the most attractive in the world IMHO. I have a few myself; wish I had more.

Dave M likes this.
  16. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Another one, Dupre's Hercules type, 1965. PCGS MS67

France 1965 10f Hercules sm.jpg

jlblonde, jello, J.A.K. and 1 other person like this.
  17. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I haven't been posting my new updates... here are a few:

1853 Napoleon III 1c. At 15mm, this coin is absolutely teeny, folks must have lost them all the time.
    [​IMG]

1899 20F Marianne, this is not first year. I couldn't find or afford the 1898...
    [​IMG]

1914 25c Lindauer in a "classic" PCGS slab
    [​IMG]

1921 50c Chamber of Commerce, another teeny coin
    [​IMG]

The collection is at http://www.go-fast.org/FrenchCoins/ if you want to see all of it together. Much left to find...

jlblonde, jello, krispy and 2 others like this.
  18. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Man, those are quite amazing Dave. ;)

19. krispy

krispy krispy

Beautiful Dave! Glad to see you adding more to the thread. Love the way you've organized and presented them on your site, too. I've recently picked up some lovely toned Semeuse small denominations myself. Yet to be imaged, though. I think you've found your groove for imaging your coins too. Kudos!

20. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Thanks Chris and Aidan, I appreciate the feedback. Chris I look forward to seeing those sowers. I haven't been able to find nice copies of the first years in 1897/8, despite it probably being my #1 want list coin. Then a month ago my mother happens to hand me a small envelope with some old French coins leftover from years ago, and sure enough, a 1898 1F Sower was in it! Unbelievable. I feel like a criminal that one of the first thoughts I had was "too bad it's not MS...". And no, I didn't say that to her :)

krispy likes this.
  21. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Some countries, details graded coins are about the only thing available for certain issues. France, generally, is not one of them. Lucky for anyone pursuing a collection of French material, most additions to it can be straight graded pieces without problems.

Draft saved Draft deleted