France: brass jeton of Louis XIV, ca. 1643-1715; sun & clouds

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Aug 13, 2020.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

France: brass jeton of Louis XIV, ca. 1643-1715; sun & clouds
    [​IMG]

Obverse: cuirassed bust of Louis XIV right.
    Reverse: • NEC • OBSCVRANT • NEC • MORANTVR •, sun with rays shining through circle of clouds.

This brass jeton of French King Louis XIV (famously known as the "Sun King") fittingly portrays the sun shining through the clouds. Perhaps this was a metaphor for enlightenment? The Latin legend loosely translates* to something along the lines of, "They neither darken nor delay", presumably referring to the clouds which the sun's rays are penetrating.

The reverse unfortunately has an old scratch across the sun's face, but this is an otherwise handsome piece. Really, I can't complain, since it cost me next to nothing as a bulk bag find. World coin bulk lots can be fun when there are goodies like this in them.

Feel free to post your Louis XIV coins, jetons, medals, etc.- or anything you deem relevant.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

000001R

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I saw that and Fugio came immediately to mind. I wonder if this jeton design inspired the Fugio design at all.

john65999 and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Huh. Funny, the Fugio cent design never occurred to me at all. But now that you mention it, I see the vague similarity. You could be right, but there no shortage of sun motifs around, so who knows.

+VGO.DVCKS and Randy Abercrombie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted