Francaise Indochine Piastre - 1828? - Need expertise

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Steve-o, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Steve-o

Steve-o New Member

I don't know much about world coins. A friend texted me these photos of a coin he has. From what I've read in the last few minutes, these were minted in what is now Vietnam from 1865-1928. My question is - how common would it have been for them to mint coins with the date 100 years off, assuming this is a 1928 piastre? Does this have any additional value becaue of the date error? Anybody with knowledge about this will be greatly appreciated...

1828 Piastre (1).jpg 1828 Piastre (2).jpg

chrsmat71 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

The date is not listed in my Krause catalog(s). There is the possibility that it is a fake coin. I would suggest you give it a careful inspection in-hand & note the precise weight & dimension of the coin. Please let us know what you find.

4. Steve-o

Steve-o New Member

I'm looking at it now - pretty sure it's not a fake. The first 8 in the date is definitely repunched, but was an 8 both times. DSCF2177.JPG
    Maybe should send off to be slabbed???

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Please post an accurate measurement of the coins weight & diameter. If you don't have an accurate scale, perhaps you could take the coin to a jewelry store or "buy your gold" store. They might be able to weigh it for you at no charge. Weight & diameter will be your primary counterfeit diagnostics I think.

6. Steve-o

Steve-o New Member

7. Steve-o

Steve-o New Member

[quote="Weight & diameter will be your primary counterfeit diagnostics I think.[/quote]

I ran to a jewelry store...
    Diameter - 39.03 mm
    Thickness at rim - 2.93 mm
    Weight - 26.8 g

8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Before 1895, the specification was 27.215 grams of 0.9000 silver. This was stated on the reverse of the genuine coins (and in the Krause books).

After 1895, the spec appears to have been changed to 27. grams of 0.9000 silver. Again, this spec is stated on the reverse of the genuine coins (and in the Krause books).

9. Steve-o

Steve-o New Member

This one does say "27 GR". It's got some wear on it, too... Maybe lost some weight???

Draft saved Draft deleted