Frames of coins I found….

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Mammothtooth, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

Indian head, Buffalos, other nickels? …. I would like to sell these. I have no idea what they are worth. If interested I can dig into the years of each one.

RichATTACH] 14C2444F-2E93-4326-95C9-3A1339DB6F91.jpeg 39ADD7C5-75B4-4EE6-9301-0742B1AEC604.jpeg AD99156F-6EF9-4C25-AD57-BA6F2356ECD6.jpeg

paddyman98, capthank, Mr.Q and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Those are cool. I tend to pick up similar sorts of deals from my dealer for Christmas gifts for grandkids and such....... I can't tell from your photo's but typically those type deals have very worn coins in them that are polished up which of course is a big negative to a coin guy. I think they would be more valuable as art than a numismatic item.

4. Mammothtooth

Yep,your right, I can barely see dates on the Nickels. The Indians have nice dates…

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  5. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

They're neat. I think those were common in the 70's and 80's. Possibly sold by Littleton Coin. I think I remember that type of stuff being sold in the Parade magazine that came with the Sunday paper. They're of little value but, sellable. You might get $20.00 for one but, no more than that. You would be better off giving them to a young collector. Great for a kid's room. The coins are well worn and likely polished. Looking at the nickels that popped out it looks like they were glued in.

Mammothtooth likes this.
  6. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

We have several framed sets. Sadly, they are dust collectors and eventually end up in storage instead of on a wall, ours do that is. Our heirs will have to figure it out. Enjoyed the post thanks for sharing, good luck.

7. Mammothtooth

Thanks, sort of what I figured…The idea of giving them to a young collector sounds interesting..

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice looking but I think the frame is worth more than what’s inside.

9. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

well, I don't know.... I know for myself, I was gifted a 20th century type set (older one before there were these new types to add) in a frame, I went through and switched out the coins more than once for better dates or nicer/more original examples. still not crazy value, BUT, if I would do it, I can't say that anyone else wouldn't do it also. I'd check the dates and all that of the coins before proceeding.
    We all see these as cool junk put together to sell to people, but mu type set hanging on the wall probably got $100 or more in coins in it even though it was a overpriced QVC impulse purchase, "means well" gift, from my mother when originally purchased for a couple times more than the coins that were in it.

Not saying it happened or it didn't,just saying don't write it off out of hand without investigating first.
    When I die, my brothers are gonna be like "what's this junk?" about this set hanging on my wall and give it to goodwill most likely, and could have coin shopped it for a $100 or so. probably take my whole collection to the bank, I'd like to think they were smarter than that, but..... yeah. I'd toss out my bros football cards for sure!

Draft saved Draft deleted