Featured Four states, 1500 miles, 23 coins shops, a disastrous hotel stay, and 10 days later...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dansco_Dude, Jan 9, 2024.

Tags:
  1. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Well I looked, and I can't find it in the mess I call an attic. I may have given it to Goodwill a few months ago, as I did a little purge. :( (If and when I find it, I'll PM you as I will likely never use it. ) Sorry for the let down.

If you tell us more about this project? What are the general goals of this collection you are making? What makes Dansco special, or rare, or interesting to you?

I really dont know anything about Album collecting, except that I have a single album I add coins too (Silver Washington Quarters), and all the others I tend to remove coins from to get them into slabs. ;)

Are certain Dansco types more special than others, are Ages of albums important or not, or is it just any-and-all albums you go for? Speaking generically of course about the general goals, as I need to tread lightly so we don't turn this into a post appropriate for the advertising section.

Imagine you are talking to an Coin Album Newb (you are :p), what are the broad strokes of this niche in our shared hobby?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

4. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Enjoyed the write-up very much, and the time/effort you took to break it down. Did you find one part of the country friendlier than the other?

I'm with Kasia on taking everything inside. I worked on the road for many years, and nothing was left in the vehicle, everything came in with me. In the rare instance that I had too much to bring in, like a trailer full, I wouldn't stop at a motel unless I could park in front of the door and leave the curtains open. I just drove on. For a couple of years in the late 90s, my job required me to carry $90K in gold, so I was very aware of my surroundings and carried 2-3 sidearms.

Mainebill and Kasia like this.
  5. Dansco_Dude

Dansco_Dude Active Member

Darn! But thank you for checking :) Please do let me know if you are able to find it!

You can check out this CoinHelpU post I made last May :)
    https://coinauctionshelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=150187#p150187

There I documented in detail the 240 Dansco albums I had then. Since then, my collection has gone up to 700 albums and folders. I am currently working through and documenting each one. When I do finally get through it, I will post here!

For me, the thing I like most about Dansco is its storied history in the hobby. Every older collector I've come across over the years knows about Dansco and many share stories about putting coins in a Dansco and opening the album up decades later to see the coin is still in great condition.

There are just so many great and interesting albums out there. So many different and odd foreign albums like the Hong Kong or Swiss Type Set.

When it comes to Dansco albums to keep an eye out for, I would say especially keep an eye out for the red Continental Line album series. [​IMG]

These albums are especially rare. The were initially created by a former Coins & Currency Institute dealer named Ervin Felix. He partnered with Dansco to create these albums after years of hearing feedback about CCI albums.
    [​IMG]

Dansco was so impressed with these albums, that they actually bought the rights from Ervin and transitioned these albums to the brown albums we know today!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The continental albums [especially the foreign albums] can easily go for hundreds of dollars empty.

To be honest, I did not get the sense that one part was friendlier than the other. My experiences with dealers were all over the place. One store could have been an awful experience, and the store down the street was wonderful.

serafino, Dima, geekpryde and 2 others like this.
  6. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

That's interesting, thank you.

7. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I get it with hotels. I tend to stay regular places. I'm usually either in a big pickup and trailer or a cargo van and full. Of inventory. A friend had his van and trailer with probably half a million in antique furniture and artwork stolen about 10 years ago. Never recovered. The van was but not the contents even with a $100k offer no questions asked cask offer for the contents. They probably destroyed it as it was too hot. I tend to avoid anywhere sketchy. Major cities and anywhere I feel uncomfortable. I'd rather sleep in the truck. And I carry in case I need to protect myself. Especially as a woman traveling alone

Dansco_Dude, Kasia and Nyatii like this.
  8. idreamofgreenie

idreamofgreenie Active Member

A lot of coin shops have items that have not been picked up or dusted off in decades. The ebay thing is funny. Never ask for anything specific and set off the value alarms haha. As for race, as a white male I rarely get a warm and fuzzy in coin shops either. Coin shops BUY a lot from estates, individuals that just want money in lieu of collectible and some are just trying to make money and cover the rent. The put-out attitudes toward enthusiasts or the casual browser or outsider I would say is common. Hey great trip and you got some results and thanks for sharing with us.

Dansco_Dude likes this.
  9. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Did Dansco ever make any albums for Italian States coins ?

10. Dansco_Dude

Dansco_Dude Active Member

Sadly no. The only thing Dansco has done anything remotely with Italy is include it in their #7400 European Union album

serafino likes this.
  11. samclemens3991

samclemens3991 Well-Known Member

Neat thread. Thanks for your post. I have collected coins since 1967 and can honestly say it hasn't mattered whether I was "just a kid", or a well dressed adult. I have never met in person a coin dealer who was polite, encouraging, helpful
    or any of the other things you would like to see basically an ambassador for your hobby to be. Just my personal experience but still disappointing. James (Thanks again)

serafino likes this.
  12. Allisgroovey

Allisgroovey New Member

13. Allisgroovey

Allisgroovey New Member

Interesting trip and coin hobby. Misspell it Dansko in a computer search and you get shoes! I am always amazed at inhospitable shop owners selling anything who complain about customers wanting to make deals. A small-town, well off bookseller had five books written in French. My daughter-in-law wanted them, but he wouldn't budge at $45. She found them for $10 on Ebay. One would think.... Hope you travel and report again.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  14. Noah Worke

Noah Worke Well-Known Member

Seeing the alert for this thread reminded me- I went to that Arizona coin store the day before my birthday to get a gift, and the store owner was the nicest guy I've met in my time living down here. He even knocked the price down a bit for me, since I'm a student. I saw some reviews about how one would do well to dress nice to be treated well, but I was in jeans and an old Austrian army PT jacket.

Dansco_Dude likes this.
  15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Grounds for being given the 'bums rush'. (devil)

Glad for your positive experience Noah. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted