Four Dates on Gold Plated Ike Dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by ItsTheNumismatist, Jun 30, 2019.

1. ItsTheNumismatist

ItsTheNumismatist New Member

Hello,

I have an Eisenhower (IKE) Dollar 1776-1976 that is gold plated and has two additional dates (1945-1985) and it has 5 stars in the form of e Pentagon. Can anyone please help with a little information and let me know if its worth anything more than face value?

Thanks

Attached Files:

• IKE.JPG
      IKE.JPG
      File size:
      432.2 KB
      Views:
    paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT. This was done after the coin left the mint and is considered a souvenir or damage (PMD = Post Minting Damage). Worth what someone will give you, $1 for most people.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Just no.. plated = damaged :yack:

R_rabbit likes this.
  5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's damage but still an interesting coin. Someone did a nice job of adding the dates and stars. Must have been made to honor something or someone. Fun coin. It would probably bring a few dollars on Ebay.

6. Cool looking coin but its played only worth a dollar

7. SCpatron

SCpatron New Member

I disagree with those calling it simply PMD, this is what I consider counter stamped and there are folks who specialize in collecting them ( just not here on CT apparently

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I collect counter stamped coins myself. They are intriguing. But counter stamped coins are definitely Post Mint Damage!

And there are others also here on CoinTalk that collect them. Stick around a bit longer and you won't assume anything negative about us any more.

Welcome to CoinTalk

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Most everyone in the hobby will agree that it's damage and there are many that collect them. If it's fun, do it.

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Sure, who could resist this on a bid board for $0.25
    linc.jpg

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I collect counterstamp coins that interest me. It is important to know and understand that any counterstamp is damage. Even chop marks on Trade Dollars are Damage despite adding the history of the mark.

It is PMD. It is a counterstamp. It is also a novelty coin. Call it anything you like but in the end, it's damaged!

We have a large number of members that collect things like this. I would place a maximum value of $5.00 on it. You've only been here a month so stay with us and you'll learn a lot.

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Sorry, I had to take care of something. Let me try to explain this.

First, it's gold plated and that is damage. It also adds interest to the coin.

Second, the dual dates 1776-1976 represent the 200th Anniversary of the United States. It was our Bicentennial and several denominations have dual dates only. The Ike Dollar is one of them.

Third, in the field on the left is a circle of 5 stars. This represents the rank (General of the Army) that Dwight D. Eisenhower held.

Fourth, in the field on the right are 2 more dates, 1945 and 1985 with one on top of the other. 1945 is the date WWII ended. Eisenhower was against dropping the Atomic bomb and that ended the war. I believe that is the reason for that date although I may be mistaken.

Fifth, Dwight D. Eisenhower was the 34th President of the United States. He defeated Stevenson by a landslide. Richard Nixon was his VP. Eisenhower died on March 28, 1969.

Sixth, the only connection I am aware of with the 1985 date is in 1985, Dwight D. Eisenhower's brother, Milton S. Eisenhower, an advisor to 6 president's died at the age of 85.

The 5 stars in a circle, the dates 1945 and 1985 are recluse and were punched into the coin after it left the Mint. Again, that's damage.

There is no doubt that this coin has been damaged. However, the damage (plating, stars and dual dates) have made this coin into a novelty coin. It would have a desirable place in the collection of someone who collects novelty coins.

I hope this explains this to everyone's satisfaction.

13. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

It is all a matter of perspective.

To a collector of Ike dollars, it is damaged and of no interest. To a collector of counterstamps, the markings are precisely what makes it of interest.

These debates arise frequently on CT. There is a contingent who can be counted upon to insist that it has no value above face value, but the fact remains that if you list it on eBay it will most definitely sell for more than face value. (I have one of these I picked up several years ago. I did not pay much for it but it was certainly more than a dollar).

I believe the coin was produced as a collectable in he mid-1980s by the same company that made similar half dollars.

In the case of the Ike dollar, the 5 stars represent his rank as General of the Army, which is a largely ceremonial title that only a few generals have been given. The date 1945 represents either the date he achieved that rank or the end of WWII. The date 1985, I believe, represents the 40th anniversary of 1945 and the commemorative would have been produced in or around that year.

Similar JFK halves can be found with the added dates "1960" and either "1980" or "1985", representing the anniversary of his election.

Draft saved Draft deleted