Four coins, 1.68g

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Sep 26, 2016.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My coin show proceeds included four Greek silver coins weighing under a gram each. I like Tiny Treasures. My page on the subject has not been updated for a long time but might be new to some:
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/tiny.html

Largest at 0.74g is a 1/8 stater (or so they say) of Lete (or so they say) with a squatting satyr. There are two dots behind him which may have had another above them making the 1/4 denomination more likely but I'm of the opinion that it is much too small to be that. I'm not all that sure of the ID and tend to prefer the experts who list these as unknown Macedon/Thrace. This is a good coin to buy if you want to feel ignorant. Like many of the coins I bought from one dealer at that show, the coin has not been cleaned using modern methods and has traces of horn silver. You probably can find cleaner ones from recent finds that have been spiffied up more.
    g00685fd3345.jpg

The next two were called hemiobols but strike me as more likely half of that (tetartemorion). These are attributed to Thasos and have a dolphin right (common) and left (less so).
    8mm 0.22g
    g00716fd3346.jpg

5x7mm 0.29g (thicker)
    g00717fd3347.jpg

Finally shown here is yet another common Kolophon tetartemorion (1/4 obol) with Apollo head right and TE ligate naming the denomination. There are also two dots on this one (and why I bought it). I 'gather' these.
    g01575fd3349.jpg

There are many variations of these (retrograde TE with facing head of Apollo, plain old ordinary and one I really like with a cicada (last 3 shown here are not new to me). These were made for many years and exist in quantity if you want one.
    g01573bb2643.jpg g01578bb2644.jpg g01580bb0783.jpg

Ryro, Deacon Ray, randygeki and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I love big bronzes but am equally thrilled with these nearly microscopic coins. It seems to impractical for use as money but there they are. I'd love to get in a time machine and watch the engravers work on those itty bitty dies!

As for the supposed Lete, style-wise it does look like other coins which are currently attributed as "unknown" from Thrace & Macedonia.

Smojo likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Some very interesting coins. Wish I could attend more shows.

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I enjoy a lot of the odd-denomination or fractional type coins. Although I have drachmae, tets, denarii, etc., it is fun to tack into another direction for lesser known or sought after coins. Many times they are scarcer, offering a unique perspective and taking me out of the mainstream collecting approach. But, I have not been one to be mainstream... :)

6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Great new bunch of mini-punches, Mentor!! (I love all of 'em)

=> I really like the TE and retrograde-TE reverses (very cool)

Oh, and I love the chubby dolphin swimming right (he is speakin' to me)

dolphin story.jpg
    [​IMG]

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Like so many, I still marvel over the tiny size, the methodology for engraving the dies and the apparent impracticality of their use as coinage.

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A hefty haul :) I agree, it's amazing the detail carved out only using the unaided eye

Draft saved Draft deleted