Found this old Canadian penny, and a blank metal piece in a roll at work.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Honey Bunny, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Honey Bunny

Honey Bunny New Member

Hi, I know nothing about coin collecting, but just wondering if this blank metal piece is anything special. I found it in a roll of pennies at work. And I also found this 1931 canadian penny. Not sure if either are worth anything, or even anything special or not.

Picture514_zps1fe1ce8b.jpg Picture515_zps40c1c1db.jpg

Picture516_zps92cead18.jpg Picture517_zps71f9f5d0.jpg Picture519_zps57a21ace.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

The second one is just pmd (not worth anything). The 1931 cent you should keep. My 2009 Canadian book says between 1-5 dollars for VG8 thru VF20, and 20 in AU 50 and more in uncirculated. I don't know the grade of that one, but it is more like VF20 or less, I believe. (could be wrong.... I think it would need better pics to have someone grade it here).

4. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

The metal disc looks like a punchout from an electrical circuit box.

5. Kasia

Yeah.... that seems right. Sorry, not even pmd or a coin.

6. Kasia

Get some better pics of the 1931 cent and put them up in this thread. Maybe some of the Canadian coin guys will look and see what grade they might give it.

7. doug444

That big discoloration on the obverse pretty well whacks the numismatic value and makes the grade immaterial.

By the way, are Canadian cents 100% "out of circulation" now, or are they slowly disappearing as banks pull them out and find strays here and there? Or has the process started yet?

8. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

The 1931 cent is F grade, but with that discolouration on the reverse, it is barely worth anything... A coin like that I would put in a George V roll of circulated cents and wholesale it.

9. doug444

I suggest that you not hide a damaged coin in a "wholesale" roll...

10. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

Who said anything about hiding it?? Normally, 1931 is a somewhat harder to find date and carries a good premium over other George V cents of the 1930s. It would cost a collector $2 to find one, problem free, in a lesser grade. You never find those in "wholesale" rolls, ever.

To me, the coin does not have a home, so I would just toss it in a George V roll, just like every other common date and I typically sell those rolls for $5 each (that is only 10c per coin). I would imagine that any novice numismatist, who bought a $5 roll of George V cents, would love finding a 1931 in that roll. Some dealers charge a lot more for cleaned or damaged coins.

I cannot speak for roll hunters, but I suspect the thrill of discovering a scarcer coins outweighs the fact that the coin has a vinegar spot on it or something... and I imagine a coin like this would eventually find a home in a Whitman folder of a roll hunter...

If you want to speak of hiding something, then do a Google search on Deller's Darkener or something...

"To assume, is to presume" (Jude Morgan)

11. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

I think you should keep it. Now that the penny has been discontinued it will increase in value.

12. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

I'm still getting the occasional cent in change but not as often. The mint & banks stopped distributing them back in Feb., but it's up to individual businesses if they will accept and/or make change with them. I noticed one of my local stores had a bunch in their register on the weekend, so I asked about them. The owner said he's still accepting cents if folks want to pay with them but only gives them out if folks ask for their change in cents otherwise he sends them to the bank with the rest of his deposits.

13. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I was thinking; When I was trying to fill my small cents album when I first started collecting, I would've loved to come across that '31 in a roll.

Draft saved Draft deleted