Found this i2 weeks ago

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by David travers, Sep 27, 2020.

?

Would love feedback and info..was told I should send in to get graded

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    82.4%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. David travers

David travers New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David travers

David travers New Member

4. David travers

David travers New Member

Does not stick to magnet and weighs correctly

5. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

Your pictures are very bad... Sorry.
    Here's some tips:

- Don't turn on flash
    - Move the camera farther away so that it is more clear.
    - Put the camera on a steady/flat surface for pictures.
    - Take a lot of pictures so you have more of a chance of getting a couple good ones.

6. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

This is only my opinion. The "7" appears to be added material. The "8" should be more pronounced, remember, if this coin were a true 1917/8, the "7" would be covered by the "8" with a slight serif-like mark on the upper right part of the "8". I am not explaining this well, however, I think this coin has been doctored (fake), IMO. This is what your photos tell me without a clear magnified pic.

Mountain Man likes this.
  7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

As @Robert Ransom says, the 7 appears to be on top of the 8 and it should be the other way around. Clear, FULL IMAGE photos (wait for photo to upload and then two buttons appear. Choose Full Image) would allow more expert opinions.

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am torn between the even wear and a fake.
    It isn't conclusive but it leans towards an added 7 to me, can't see the notch.

9. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

It looks like the overdate to me, and I would submit it for certification but not for conservation. There are too many problems for that, IMO. Heck of a thing to get in change in 2020.

David travers likes this.
  10. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Considering the possibility of your coin being a legitimate overdate, I would send it for grading.

David travers likes this.
  11. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

If this was my coin it would get an overnight acetone bath followed up with a careful acetone soaked q tip roll across the surfaces. Then send to ANCS for authentication.

GH#75 likes this.
  12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I think at this point, I would label it and put it away for a while. If you can manage to get access to a lab binocular scope at a high school or college, you can get a better idea before probably wasting cash. You can use your cell phone camera through the microscope lens At this last photo, it appears to me that the date has physical damage from use and would not be the overdate. IMO, Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted