Found this i2 weeks ago

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by David travers, Sep 27, 2020.

?

Would love feedback and info..was told I should send in to get graded

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    82.4%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. David travers

David travers New Member

I've been reading up on the elusive 1918/7 nickel.the only reason it popped up on my radar is I recieved this nickle in change at the grocery store. I would love any info or feedback if its worth grading or if it is indeed a 1918 over 7 d buffalo nickel

20200927_012059.jpg 20200927_011955.jpg 20200927_005952.jpg 20200917_221123.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2020
    tmeyer, GH#75, Neal and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David travers

David travers New Member

Got this in change at supermarket 2 was ago .I looked it up and think it might be the real deal.any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

4. David travers

David travers New Member

Got this in change at supermarket.l
    I googled it and ....well,now I'm looking for opinions

Attached Files:

5. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Well circulated 1918-D. Probably $10-15, if you’re really lucky

capthank and David travers like this.
  6. hotwheelsearl

On second glance might be an 1918/7. Wait for the experts to chime in

capthank and David travers like this.
  7. David travers

David travers New Member

That's what I was wondering. I'm a beginner at collecting and always check my change. I don't want to get overly optimistic and spend money getting a 20 dollar coin graded.thanks for your input..much appreciated

8. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Hi, can you post a close up, in focus shot of the date from directly overhead. Click on Full Image when it is uploaded as those thumbnail images make it hard to see anything

9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Oh, wow, this looks intriguing indeed. Even if that isn't an 8/7, that's a really scarce find for circulation. Wait for other comments, but I think you might have something worth getting authenticated there.

Mike Davis likes this.
  10. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Real deal... what? It is a 1918 nickel that is worth a few bucks afaik.

11. lordmarcovan

You posted three threads about the same coin on the same forum in less than half an hour. There's no need for that. I have merged the three into one. Just one topic per coin, please.

PS- I also took the liberty of fixing one set of images so they will display full size instead of as thumbnails. That is an option you can select yourself when you are posting.

I think we are going to need higher resolution images to make a determination.

12. hotwheelsearl

Heres a screenshot from PCGS coinfacts.

1EFA2A36-26CF-4A5A-9D9F-D97ED5E6F30D.png
    Your coins looks legit. However, being such a rarity these are often faked.

Also, this would likely get a VG/F DETAILS grade which would torpedo the value to less than 30% of a straight graded one.
    Still solid, if legitimate

13. lordmarcovan

Agreed. It will not straight-grade at a third-party grader, and would come back as a "problem" coin in a "details" graded holder with the corrosion and/or other issues noted.

You'd send it in for purposes of authentication, not grade. Even in a "Genuine/xx-Details/Environmental Damage" holder, the "Genuine" would be the key word.

True, it would only be worth a fraction of the value of an undamaged piece as such, but since it would be a key date coin, you'd be sitting pretty, having gotten it for only face value (five cents).

There is little downside risk there. Worst-case scenario, they refuse to slab it because it is fake (not likely), or altered (a possibility), and then you're out the slab fees.

I'd say it is worth sending in. But show us some better pictures of the date area first, so we can look more closely.

Nice find, regardless!

RonSanderson and Heavymetal like this.
  14. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I do think it’s the 1918/7 the date looks right. Yes it’s damaged and looks ground found but still has value

15. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

High quality photos are essential for determining if the coin is an over-date. Based on the existing pics., my assessment is, a fake due to the material buildup of the upper right loop of the '8'.

hotwheelsearl and lordmarcovan like this.
  16. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

nice i got lucky when i found a 1918 s buffalo in the cull bin some how they didn't see it the coin was very corroded and the mm was barley visible go it for 20 cents sold it for $15.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  17. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Looks legit to me. I would wait for the experts opinions. Good luck!

18. Chris11111952

Chris11111952 Member

The cost of sending it out for grading would make me think twice.

19. Chris11111952

Chris11111952 Member

Changed my mind if you can get a straight over head shot and it really looks like an 8 over7 it's $900 or there abouts in "good" might be worth $ to send it out

20. Chris11111952

Chris11111952 Member

Just looked at HA sold prices G6 $500 to XF $2500 It's worth sending in IMO

capthank likes this.
  21. Chris11111952

Chris11111952 Member

Lastly ask NGC if they think it will benefit from Conservation services ( extra $)

Draft saved Draft deleted