Found this common nickel with no heads

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Chloe Ann, May 15, 2016.

1. Chloe Ann

Chloe Ann New Member

Found this nickel with only one side to it. A small portion of the heads side was stamped on. There's no date on it so I don't know when it was printed. I was trying to figure out how much it might be worth. image.jpeg image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Likely smoothed out by some idiot.

Markus1959 likes this.
  4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Probably still worth 5 cents. It's just been ground down or something.

5. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Some machinist with time to waste.

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Chloe.. what you have is known as PMD - Post (after it left the mint) Mint Damage
    I used a filter to enhance the marks so you can see better that it was ground, sanded down. The criss cross lines is evidence of most likely a Dremel machine
    :( Worth 4 1/2 cents
    5c.JPG

Mojavedave likes this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

By the way welcome to Cointalk
    Paper Currency is Printed... Coins are Minted/Milled aka stamped... Different technique.

8. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Maybe not a machinist possibly a lazy aircraft mechanic. I wouldn't do that but I have seen them drill pennies pretty bad

9. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

10. Bill G.

Bill G. Member

Ebay used to allow PMDs in the coin error section. I once saw a sandwiched Indian Head cent sell for $125. A sandwich is made by stacking three coins and hitting them hard with a sledge hammer. The middle coin can look pretty spectacular. I cringed as I watched a fool throw $125 down the drain. Fake 1914-D cents (made from 1944-D cents) used to sell on eBay from $50-$100. Now eBay seems to monitor such frauds. I hardly ever see counterfeit 1914-D cents on eBay anymore.

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

12. Markus1959

Yes - I have plenty of the little die grinders in my barn. Never though would waste an abrasive disk to grind a coin - for what purpose? Well, besides trying to pass it off as an error!

paddyman98 and Smojo like this.
  13. Markus1959

A true Machinist has the ability to make amazing things with coins - Just a kid with his fathers tools.

14. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

True. Know some machinist that are brilliant with talent others dumb as rocks.

15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

They still do..... and if only it was true....

16. Markus1959

That pretty much goes with any occupation! I was a kick ass pattern maker that was building foundry patterns to within .006 tolerance and was highly sought after as opposed to horrible pattrenmakers that we called "BUTCHERS" - now adays the machines have put us craftsman mostly out of business as the Cad/Cam computerized machines work 24 hours a day and can cut patterns to unbelievable tolerances!!

tommyc03 likes this.
  17. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Your right. I work on aircraft the amount the cad/cam does is incredible. In my line .001 of an inch is a lot. I'm no machinist, but a pretty good mechanic

tommyc03 and Markus1959 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted