Found these 3 bronze coins in small thrift shop

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Everett Guy, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Everett Guy

Everett Guy Well-Known Member

Well these were priced $30-$30-$50 and I paid $10 each. I may have over paid alittle. My first bronze buy. 20201022_155510.jpg 20201022_155341.jpg 20201022_155400.jpg 20201022_155415.jpg 20201022_155434.jpg 20201022_155449.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

.10 would have been better, but if you're happy.:eek::confused:

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  4. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Seconding @Mat. mmmmYeah, they were overpriced, but only by that much. Are you good with attributing 'em?

Everett Guy likes this.
  5. Everett Guy

I will prob give one to our paster at church.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  6. Everett Guy

Not yet, all I think I know is the one with the castle on the back I have seen before...lol. I will have look up what they are.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  7. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

At a thrift store? huh... never heard of that

Everett Guy and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  8. Everett Guy

Yeah they buy out storage units and had a case with coins, they keep the gold and Silver stuff. Guy had found alot of gold coins and jewelry in these units he said. I was shocked he had these coins, more shocked at orignal prices..lol

DarkRage666 likes this.
  9. Everett Guy

I figured for $10 each it wasn't a horrible gamble. Even if i over paid it wasnt a total loss

DarkRage666, DonnaML and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  10. +VGO.DVCKS

Yep, you nailed it!

Everett Guy likes this.
  11. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

Are you in the market for a bridge by chance? I've got one for sale:
    [​IMG]
    It's heavily used, but it was built sturdy over a century ago. If taken care of, it ought to last for a few more centuries. Make me an offer.

I state this in jest of course, and my intent in ribbing you is intended to be all in good fun.

A bit of unsolicited advice here. Being as you're just starting out in the ancients collecting arena, I would suggest a newbie taking the time to learn the general pricing of ancient coinage in today's market. A good way to do that is to check auctions and peruse their closing/hammered prices. There is a multitude of auction houses that specialize in numismatics both here and abroad.

One easily accessible venue this, for those just starting out, is eBay auctions. While one has to be cautious and on the look-out for fakes, there are also plenty of legit coins that are often auctioned w/ low starting prices; allowing bidders to dictate the current (eBay) market value.

There is an abundance of decent examples that can be had in the double figures($10-$99) range. $30 might have acquired three coins that would have been in much better shape than the ones that you purchased from the 'thrift shop'

If it comes across that I'm berating you, I apologize (sort of:cigar:). My underlying intention is to help a new collector out, as I'm also a fairly new collector myself.

+VGO.DVCKS and Everett Guy like this.
  12. Everett Guy

I understand, it def was another sounds, looks cool purshase, i am getting my feet wet, i really only want the silver coins but the alure of the acient coins and the images on the back get me every time. I did just today print out a check list of stuff 59bc to 518ad so I can look up a round about price average next to them so when I go out I got a idea. I love ebay, one place you can get sort of premium silver coins for $29-$39 but they pick from their lot. But I did get some cool coins I am glad I got. I am going to dabble around untill I get prices and other stuff down. I need to get the attribution part down.
    Oh does that bridge come with lease to own deal? Lol

Theodosius and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  13. +VGO.DVCKS

...Other people have mentioned this, but you really need a copy of Sear, Ancient Coins and their Values, as recent an edition as you can find. Mine is ancient in its own right (1974), but between that and the Wildwinds website, it's kind of the spine that the whole thing lives on ...or, for a maritime example, the keel that the whole thing floats on.

Everett Guy likes this.
  14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Interesting, we have the Red Book and the Grey Sheet for American and Krause (even though the prices aren't particularly good) for "foreign", but for ancients, it is a different kettle of fish. Auctions...don't think they really have low-grade Constantine campgates, e-bay...prices all over the map. I don't have an answer, not an easy question.

Everett Guy and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  15. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Tough responses... Tough crowd. Too bad.

If you read up on the coins and learn to attribute them.. which leads you down a new path of collecting that you enjoy for years to come - this is a real bargain!

Heck my first purchase was 10 uncleaned coins for $30... and most were slugs.. but I have enjoyed the hobby ever since and glad I purchased that lot.

Here is our FAQ thread for new collectors:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ancient-coins-beginners’-faq-thread.324858/

@Everett Guy .... Best of luck and just ask if you have questions. I am pretty new but there are many knowledgeable collectors who are willing to help.

16. Everett Guy

Yes, you all did mention those before. I need to get to the book store or buy online. Are these pretty thick books? I take it they cover alot. I am liking the fact there are way more coin images than I thought at first. Its just going to hit the pocket book more, I see it as putting money in the bank. I just need to get a better intrest rate on the coins (figure out what I should be spending so I or kids/grandkids get a better return)

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  17. Everett Guy

Thanks, i will check out that link. it wasnt for everyone here giving info and advice since I started a month ago, I prob would have paid the $110 for those 3 coins...most with out knowing seeing a 2000+ old coin that you can make out details on it think they are worth a fortune...I feel like the coin jedi in training.

18. +VGO.DVCKS

I didn't go further than Amazon, but here are some listings for the 1988 edition. If you got a copy of this one, you'd have me beat (from the latest edition I ever had) by 10 years. Used, even ex-library, is where I'd go. I'd be wanting a "reading copy" --for utilitarian purposes-- not a bright, shiny one.

Everett Guy likes this.
  19. +VGO.DVCKS

...And, as such, you're Doing Good! ..Wish I was any better at quoting Yoda.
    'Do Well, you will.'

Theodosius and Everett Guy like this.
  20. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

It’s really hard to get a grasp for good prices until you buy a bunch of coins.

when I first started I would have thought $10 for an ancient Roman coin was a great deal.

now I recognize that you can get much superior coins for $10.
    But I would never have known that until I bought a couple dozen coins.

you are basically paying for experience which is really not a bad way to go

21. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

The best of the three is probably the third, the Arcadius. That is getting closer to being worth 10 bucks, but still not

+VGO.DVCKS and Everett Guy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted