Found The Other Day

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Collecting Nut, Mar 26, 2023.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A simple little incomplete planchet but it’s on a 1920 Wheat Ear Cent. Old Abe sure circulated pretty well with the curved clip. This coin shows that 103 years ago no one really cared about incomplete planchets. Enough of it was there to suit the business needs.
    52723BF2-6F25-4408-9957-2C4D06B329B7.jpeg BC354E6D-8590-4917-9A09-A94C02429C15.jpeg

Kevin Mader and Laurie B like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Im thinking that one is a home made clip.

alurid likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Here’s the best shot I can get of the edge. Just like it should be on a clip. There are two places on the edge of the rim that have a small amount of metal missing. The smaller one is just to the right of the clip. The larger one is at high noon. The rim is a little flat on the obverse but to the right is a small hole. It almost goes to the reverse. I believe this to be genuine.
    D97249B1-3E44-4BF1-8586-94142A4B0B63.jpeg

5. Paddy54

Not seeing any damage opposite the clip... you'll always see some damage opposite the clip.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Really? That's not what I've read, and @Fred Weinberg said, unless I'm misquoting him.

7. Paddy54

Where is Fred's assessment? We are talking a <G grade cent that the error isn't the value of a cup of coffee.
    Look at the error section of the red book for a guidance to value.
    Look at the edge I see lines from a clip that was to have been done at the mint some 103 years ago? How is it that the coin has wear, but those lines havent for over 100 years..?
    I always play detective looking at coins and try and understand what i see...am I always right no as I'm human , but can back up my decision by going into details of my interpretation....
    And can actually say there's quite a few here on CT over the years whom have purchased errors from me. I believe that "Charley" purchased a lot of error Jeffersons from me.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  8. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I’m thinking it’s an old, worn incomplete planchet. Location is good too. But I agree. If there is a Blakesley Effect it is hard to tell.

Draft saved Draft deleted