Found some old CGA graded notes

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Atolicus, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Atolicus

Atolicus New Member

Hey guys-
    I am in the process of moving and came across some notes still in CGA holders. I plan on submitting them to PMG or PCGS, and have a couple of questions. First, am I allowed to submit them in the current CGA holders, or do I need to remove the bills. I really dont want to for fear of damaging the notes in the process.

Secondly, assuming its ok to submit in the CGA holders, would you? Is there a bias against the notes with the overgrading problems at CGA in the past? Looking at the notes, there are 6 I am going to submit. 2 are clearly overgrades, the rest look pretty accurate. Despite this, should I expect all the notes to come back lower?

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lettow

lettow Senior Member

My understanding of the process is that the graders will not know that the notes were previously graded even if you sent it in the CGA holder. Someone else opens the mail and prepares the notes for the grader including removing it from the TPG holder.

rickmp likes this.
  4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

CGA had a huge issue of over grading notes several years ago with the owner
    OF Arcade Currency they were discovered and shut down, CGA reappeared placing
    A star on the back label to identify the new company but here again there reputation
    Is in the trash can! It has been my experience that both PCGS and PMG grades right
    Across the board if its a 68 at one it will be a 68 at the other, have submitted several notes for cross grading here are some examples, but if you plan to submit be prepared for lower grades that,s a given

5. mpcusa

6. mpcusa

7. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Four months ago I sent 8 CGA graded notes to PMG.

I cut all of the notes out of the CGA holders before sending them in to PMG to be graded. ALL of the notes came back from PMG with the exact grades as CGA had graded them. All of the notes were small-size notes. Two months ago I sent 6 large size notes to PMG, and 1 of them was in a CGA holder....it did not come back as I had hoped for. It went from a 45 (extra fine) to a 30EPQ (fine). Here's a scan of the note with the CGA holder behind the PMG holder.

[​IMG]

8. mpcusa

OUCH !! that,s for sure a pain in the wallet

9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I have that note in a PMG VF25, and your note is several points better than mine. I'd buy yours at a VF-30 price all day long :D

10. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Unless the back of that Bison is rickety it is undergraded. VF35 minimum and I'd not argue with a 40 though sometimes it's hard to see paper folds with one angle scan... I've seen hella worse VF30 in a PMG holder. Sometimes I think they need to have their grading room tested for radon...

11. Atolicus

Atolicus New Member

Thanks for all the help guys. Im leaning towards cutting off the CGA grades. At best, they dont look at them and it would have no influence either way. At worst, they see the former grades and will automatically start at a lower point, whether intentionally or subconsciously. So I dont really see an upside to leaving them in the CGA holders.

Ill update when I get around to sending and get back the new grades with before and after pics.

12. mpcusa

Looking Forward to it :)

Draft saved Draft deleted