found it metal detecting

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by luckyiguess, Oct 5, 2015.

1. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Try NGC next time so you don't pay the big bux for the "not gradable-rim ding" b.s. Congrats on the great find anyway!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

The "old school" methods like "probes" assure damage to the "target" for sure! the plug dig is usually safe but don't go too small cause you may be off pinpointing....

4. HKUP

HKUP Member

AWESOME! Thanks for sharing. I'm putting new batts into my MD.

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Which metal?

7. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

Pinpointing isn't very hard to learn. When I was a teenager I had a sears metal detector. Not a top of the line whites or garrett, and I never had a problem pinpointing objects. Some people get in too big of a hurry.

8. moosesr

moosesr Junior Member

From your pictures the rim dings don't look very bad. Maybe if they had some dirt on them to help them blend in with the rest of the coins color, they would grade on another submission. Here is a picture of a Morgan with rim dings that look much worse than the ones in your pictures and it is in a PCGS VG-8 holder. [​IMG][​IMG]

9. luckyiguess

luckyiguess New Member

Thanks very much for your suggestion. I to feel the rimdmg is minor but i understand the desire for wanting the best coin possible. In the holder the damage cant be seen but it is there and i dont want to mislead anybody. I have just 1 coin and 1 chance to do all this right.

10. john41

john41 Toned coins, I like them. If I have it so can you.

Hey Lucky,
    I left you a PM about some things to do. One thing you could do is ask for a review/reconsideration of the coin. Did you cause the damage, if so that is why it got the damaged designation because the damage is new. If you did not cause the damage the other thing you could do is soak the coin in acetone. This will not hurt the surface skin of the coin, it will not remove any of the toning/tarnish and is not going to cause problems with the sniffer. The price difference from a gen to straight grade can be significant. For this coin it will be less so due to it's rarity. If sending this coin to another TPG that will ignore the damage changes things that TPG would most likely carry a lower price and the buyer when seeing the coin in hand may not be too happy. This is a coin that should you decide to sell it should go to Great Collections or Heritage so they can market it for you. You can also send the coin to Ian Russel and have him look the coin over and tell you what he thinks, if he feels it should straight grade he will send it back to PCGS for you. This coin deserves the PCGS plastic especially the new holders as they are strong and very easy to image. If you have any questions for me feel free to PM me. here or at CU.
    Thanks for your time, John.

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Lucky, where in the hell were you digging, Fort Knox? Don't tell us you found this in your backyard! Lol, but I have to know, where did you find this? Tell us about that. This is a $10,000 coin on a good day!

12. BostonMike

BostonMike Senior Member

I'm curious too. Where did you pull this one out from?

13. luckyiguess

luckyiguess New Member

i live near what was known as the carson city trail in california

MitchBailey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted