found it metal detecting

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by luckyiguess, Oct 5, 2015.

1. luckyiguess

luckyiguess New Member

Been metal detecting for 20 years never found enough to cover batteries. Then a few weeks ago I found an 1873cc 25c with arrows. Im posting pics from before PCGS and after. I really want all the input I can get on this. I did damage the rim removing it from California hardpan. Please tell me your opinions on the grade and what you think the value maybe. And how you arrive at your estimates. Even though I been detecting for 20 years I know little about coin grading and determining a coins value.
    Thanks for everybody input.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  4. $ignofthedollar

$ignofthedollar Well-Known Member

Great find! Congrats!!

5. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

That is one heck of a find. Congratulations!!

6. Profit man

Profit man Active Member

Amos 811 likes this.
  7. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Oh wow! Just looked this coin up... only about 50 are estimated left. Nice find! Worth $15,000 - $20,000 with no damage. I would easily say worth a few grand still.

8. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Tough to put a value on a coin like this but it's really cool that you dug it up.
    I'm sure it's still worth several thousand.

10. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

I used to metal detect when I was younger. I see a lot of so-called "experienced" metal detectors these days taking a screwdriver and poking into the ground to find the object. Wrong, wrong, wrong. That's an excellent way to damage something that might be valuable. You zero in on the object to where you are almost sure it is located, and then cut a horse shoe shaped divot around that area, pull up the divot, put the detector on the dirt to see if it's in there. If not, put the detector over the hole. If it's still in the ground you carefully dig around with your fingers and try to find the object. I can proudly say I've never damaged anything I found while metal detecting because I had a good teacher. If you're in dirt you can cut in a circle shape. The horse shoe shape was for on grass (someones yard), so you can put it back down and water it and the grass won't die around where you cut.

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

If I were in your shoes, I'd be reminding myself that it probably still would have gotten an "Environmental Damage" details grade even if it didn't have the rim damage (whether it's true or not!). In any event, I would go along with those saying it's worth several thousand, at least -- Numismedia FMV for XF-40 is nearly $28K, and for something this rare, I'd expect more than 10% of the problem-free value.

12. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

WOW!!!!!

I'd put it in the $15,000.00 range. PCGS has it valued at $26,000.00 - $27,500.00 range. I think $15K easily considering how tough of a date it is.

Congratulations on the incredible find of a lifetime!! I've been metal detecting for years and something like that is what you dream about at night.

13. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Very very awesome to say the least.

14. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Worth 1,000 times anything I ever found, LOL. They make fiberglass digging tools and fiberglass probes. With fiberglass, I "assume" you could hit a coin head-on and still not cause any damage. The "divot" method is best, but time-consuming. One other shortcut, I used to carry a little squeeze bottle of ordinary flour, to mark where I had been. Broken terrain with a lot of obstacles to move around gets you confused real fast.

15. luckyiguess

luckyiguess New Member

After 4 years of drought 20 tears of never finding much except every pick axe and shovel and square nail ever lost during the gold rush and the fact my detector was tellin me different things cos of all the junk in the ground nothing fiberglass can go thru hardpan. But next i will be more careful lol. thanks for the tips.

Andrew Snovell likes this.
  16. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

17. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

This 1 coin alone is worth 20 years of not finding squat! Congrats, it's a great find. :)

19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I have a 5 gallon bucket full of finds but nothing as nice as this one.
    The damage is minor in a way. The years in the ground did just as much harm.
    If you put this on the market, please let us know what it brings.
    I'll bet it covers all the batteries you bought.:)

20. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Wow, that's incredible.
    I'm glad it's out of the ground and added to the census.

21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Fiberglass is still harder than metal, and besides, you'd still be pushing dirt and grit into the surface of the coin. I don't think fiberglass would add much safety...?

Draft saved Draft deleted