Found in poker kitty last night... Proof .25???

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by nuMRmatist, Apr 26, 2015.

1. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

I found this in the kitty last night, getting there late.

Is this a proof issue? 'S' mm, 2014. Polished background, frosted highlights.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Yup. What's the reverse? Also, What color is the edge? It looks like silver to me.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Sure looks like a proof.

5. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

It's clad - not good with close-ups.

Lost about $12 for the night. Even forgot about this thing, 'til it fell out of my pocket just a while ago here.........

Attached Files:

6. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

I have to get poker games going again in my garage now the weather broke.

7. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

8. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Wonder why they'd give a 15% premium for a bag of proof silver , or why anyone would pay it may be a better question ? After all silver is silver .

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

sad, proof quarter

10. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

The economics of it is they were broken up and sent in as a large order to a TPG with instructions to only slab the 70's. If these quarters are not 70's they are not worth much more than the price APMEX is selling them for. The loss between mint price and bulk value is more than made up for by the premiums on the 70's.

I think its kind of a cool way to buy junk silver. I just wish the premium was a tad lower.

Twobit likes this.
  11. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

I don't pay the slightest attention to recent proof sets, so I'm wondering how much of a monetary loss "somebody" took to (in effect) convert the worst of their proof sets into 90% junk silver? And of course, it's already happened to the mid-1960s sets, during the last big surge in silver prices. You'd be tempted to think that all this action would be bullish for proof set prices, but apparently not...

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

it's because even with all the cracking out and melting there are still plenty enough proof sets to go around to meet the actual demand for sets. The collector base really isn't as large as a lot of people think it is.

13. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Especially when you think of all the people that buy a set for a special occasion . These sets will sit in a SDB or wherever for a couple of generations or longer .

Draft saved Draft deleted