Found in cull box

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by expat, Apr 6, 2022.

1. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Found this today while searching the box for world coins. I don't think somebody liked this design version very much, LOL
    20220406_142848 (2).jpg 20220406_142902 (2).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Im 1 for sure....who hates it! In fact that was were my Jefferson nickel collection ended....2006

Inspector43 and expat like this.
  4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Completely understandable, it is not much of a design

5. Paddy54

IDK why our mint puts out crap like this...? Looks like a cartoon not Tom Jefferson.

expat likes this.
  6. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I always thought he looked like someone's grandmother at Thanksgiving: "Who wants some cranberries."

Paddy54, Spark1951 and expat like this.
  7. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

I liked this full face Jefferson, but the eyes, nose and mouth are wrong. If you compare his portrait with this coin design you will see what I mean. Makes it look like his brother, or something. (I don’t know if he had a brother, btw, I will look that up). If he did have one, it is the brother asking “Who wants cranberry sauce?”.

But, being a fair-minded person, it was a reasonable depiction, just not a great one. I also did not like the script “LIBERTY”, but was glad of the return to Monticello for the reverse.

expat, Paddy54, MIGuy and 1 other person like this.
  8. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

I only keep one of each year for the folder. Thats it. Not hard to just take a single one.

Not so pretty but the design was a second thought and die life was probably more important.

Think about the high relief on the older Jeffersons... more prone to die breaks and the like. In theory, a shallower die would live longer... and since design is second to the ability to mass produce - we get things like this.

expat, MIGuy and Spark1951 like this.
  9. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

The Mint had every chance to make a great coin and failed. They could have at least gotten the face right ( high or low relief aside).

10. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I like old Jeff on war nickels the most that design looks:yawn::yawn:. Screenshot_20220328-174804_eBay.jpg

1stSgt22 likes this.
  11. Paddy54

The public was actually screwed out of a timeless design when the mint made Schlag redo the art deco design and went with the 1938 redo....
    IDK why....as America really loved art deco..... now had his orginial design not been poo pooed...we would of had another design that made us proud.
    The Mercury dime art deco....standing liberty quarters who doesn't like these two?

expat and Spark1951 like this.
  12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

"If you move, I will hit you again." It moved . . . several times. LOL

expat likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted